It’s the Crib Sheet today and this week we focus a little more on K-State. What can I say? Most of the news from the week exposed the Wildcats as a middle tier type college trying to be big time. Speaking of making it to the big time, there’s rumblings again for some shake up, BCS style. This argument will die down again when March Madness hits and probably won’t pick up again until August. So consider this the last hurrah for the BCS/playoff argument for awhile. In the meantime, the Crib Sheet’s got your paper for the week:
- Apparently there was a big rift at K-State between Jon Wefald and Tim Weiser. I kinda wondered why they gave Ron Prince an extension last year. As well as know, reality hit and they realized he sucked so they bought out his contract. Wildcats out over $3 million. Good job Ron. Hopefully the administration in the Little Apple will quit trying to be big time and let the athletic department do its thing.
- Because of the nasty little tidbit, we get a resignation from Bob Krause, the current AD. I knew this guy was out of his league when listening to the press conference on Ron Prince’s firing. This guy had greenhorn written all over him. He really botched the firing and hiring of K-State’s head football coach. If this guy had a tighter lid 0n things, we may be seeing Gary Patterson instead of Bill Snyder 2.0.
- Florida is not a unanimous champion, well at least in Congress. Congress passed a resolution recognizing the Florida Gators as national champions in college football, but some members voted “No” and some members voted “Present”, including all of the Senators from Utah. It’s nice to see that in this economic climate, the nation’s leaders are sticking their nose in college football. You know, they did that for Major League Baseball and look how that turned out. Yes We Can! Well….Maybe that is.
- Now ex-kicker for Mizzou Jeremy Wolfert will rejoin the dive team to help out his swimming buddies. It seems after finishing his illustrious career as a kicker (and missing some important tries) J-Dog will go back to the team to help win the Big 12 in swimming. Hey, didja see the missed kick he had against KU? He doesn’t win. Make sure he doesn’t miss the pool wide right.
- So you figure a Big 12 Congressman would be all for the BCS, but some guy in Texas wants a law for a playoff. Excuse me? Aren’t we in one of the worst economic times evar? So why are politicians introducing bills for college sports when they need to save their butt on real domestic issues? Clearly it’s a play for votes, but this kinda stuff that bubbles up actually influences the opposite position for me.
- The Mountain West Conference is ready for the big time! With Utah going undefeated twice and winning their BCS games twice, they have legitimate beef. I’d say give them the auto-bid to replace an open bid. Either that or demote a weaker conference down. ESPN thinks it should be the Big East. Let’s face it, the contract is all about the current big conferences so any changes that affect the big guys probably won’t come until it’s time to renew the contract in a couple of years.
- Hi my name is Josh Freeman, I’m overhyped and I like Lil Wayne and Garth Brooks. Let’s do a couple of more – How many years in the NFL will I play: 3 (riding the bench for 2), My favorite target on the field: The opposing player, if I’m under pressure, Who I want to be most like in the NFL: Jamarcus Russell or Vince Young, The best thing I learned in college: Could you repeat the question?