It’s the middle of the bowl season and we’ve had some great games so far. What’s cool about this time right now, is that coaches are making jumps left and right, either to the NFL or back down from the NFL. Players are also declaring their intentions for the big time as well. So while we try to keep up with who’s going where and who’s staying, we get some great bowl action left. Well, at least through Monday. Until then, here’s the Crib Sheet:
- So Kansas State got burned on an excessive celebration penalty in their loss in the Pinstripe Bowl to Syracuse. A simple salute to the fans cost the Wildcats 15 yards and a missed shot for a 2 point conversion to tie the game up. The officials had some lame-o explanation and because of that it may be reviewed next year. Overall the game was pretty sloppy for the Wildcats but you can’t end the game on a penalty.
- One of our favorite mascots, Georgia’s UGA (number VIII this time), missed the Liberty Bowl trip due to a sickness. Let’s wish him a good recovery. If you remember this UGA took over duties because to previous died at a very early age.
- Maryland met with our favorite coach, Mike Leach, but ended up choosing Connecticut’s Mike Edsall. The confirmation came soon after the Huskies’ loss to the Oklahoma Sooners in the Fiesta Bowl.
- Meanwhile, Kansas hired Illinois State’s AD Sheahon Zenger. It’s an upgrade for Zenger and we’ll see how he’ll weather the storm for the program in the next couple of years.
- Florida’s on a rampage. We know they got Will Muschamp from under Texas as their new head coach. Now they signed up Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Charlie Weiss. I figured Weiss was a short termer for the Chiefs but leaving so soon to go back to college is kind of a scratcher. Maybe he will have free reign?
- With all of these hirings, we need to also mention the hirings. Former new Pitt head coach Mike Haywood was let go from the team soon after his arrest for domestic battery. Ruh roh. You need to check yourself before you wreck yourself, Mike.
- The reports are that Rich Rodriguez is out at Michigan but the school has yet to announce anything.
- ESPN announcer Ron Franklin is out for calling a colleague “sweet baby” then an “a-hole” for objecting. I guess “sweet baby” is harassment these days. Hold your tongue around toddlers now.
- Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbertt has declared himself for the NFL Draft. It’s like Missouri may need to find another 5-star to fill his shoes. That’s gonna be tough, actually.