The Crib Sheet returns! We’re in the first lull of the year as Spring Practice is right around the corner. The second lull is the summer, of course. We here at the KCCGD find many things to pass the time. Dodgeball for instance. It’s not exactly football, but it is alot of fun. We think that colleges should catch on to this trend and officially support dodgeball in their athletic programs. It can work. We all just have to will. DUCK! Here comes the Crib Sheet:
- Bennie F. Abram of Ole Miss died on the practice field last week. The autopsy will tell us if there was any foul play but as of right now, it just seemed like he couldn’t breath and then died. Our condolences go out to everyone involved in his life.
- The rumor mill was hot that Texas or Notre Dame could join the Big 10. Not anymore. The Big 10 has hired a firm to assist with their expansion plans. They reportedly have a list of about 15 school. Our money is on Nebraska, Iowa State, and Missouri from the Big 12 being on the list.
- The Dayton Daily News has a great story about a one handed safety from their area succeeding in division III football. There’s nothing like a little inspirado to make your week go by faster.
- Chip Kelly dismissed Jamere Holland off the Oregon Ducks squad for an expletive laden Facebook post. The post talked about a Kiko Alonso getting arrested and falsely claimed that the Kiko Alonso was kicked off the team, among other things. This goes to show that you can be very accountable in social media and that players need to be careful what they say, even online. Alonso IS suspended for the 2010 season, however.
- Joe Paterno’s glasses were auctioned off for charity at $9000. JoePa recently opted for Lacik surgery so he doesn’t need them anymore. What other iconic college football items could go this high for charity? We’re thinking maybe Rich Rodriguez’s tear catcher, Mark Mangino’s blanket-sized bib, or Pete Carroll’s recruiting cloaking device.
- Ole Miss students voted to commence searching on a mascot to replace Colonel Reb. As you may know from reading this blog, Colonel Reb was banned from inside the stadium in 2003. So the students finally decided that they needed something inside to cheer on the students. Poor Reb.