Is it me or has this season become anti-climatic? After last weekend, we have the Big 12 North pretty much locked up and we might as well call the Big 12 South. So as I see it, Nebraska will face Oklahoma State in the Big 12 Championship Game. Now, unless something goes crazy, what else is left for the season except bowl games? Oh, well we have some rivalry games left. That’s a good thing. You know what else is a good thing? This week’s Crib Sheet:
- It looks as though this Cam Newton story has legs. ESPN reports that Newton and his father both separately confirmed a ‘pay-for-play’ deal in phone conversations with a Mississippi State recruiter. Okay, so they were trying to get cash. Did Newton get cash to play at Auburn? This thing is about to go nuclear.
- Duke cancelled tailgating at the football game this weekend due to discovering an unconscious student at a tailgating event last week. The kid was probably chugging Four Loko. Too bad for everyone else, maybe they can tailgate at a park or somewhere else.
- So, you remember the big expansion destruction of the Big 12 and how Texas saved the day because they wanted their own network? Welp, looks like the board of regents for Texas okayed the idea of a Longhorns Network. We should see this in about a year or so.
- The WAC isn’t holding back on the expansion tremors. They are adding Texas-San Antonio, Texas State, and Denver for the 2012 season. Conferences just keep getting bigger and bigger.
- Meanwhile, the New Mexico Bowl will hook up with the Pac 12. Wait, football out of New Mexico sucks big time. Why do they have a bowl? They should have a Kansas Bowl instead. Let’s start a petition.
- Congratulations to Baylor’s Robert Griffin III on getting his Heisman ballot. He’s not going to win it, but just showing up means he is a great player.
- Three Southern Miss football players were shot at a club last week. I usually don’t talk about police blotters but I’ve never heard of three players at one time getting in trouble. One of the players, Martez Smith, has a severed spine because of it. A couple of suspects were arrested in the case, too.
- TCU line coach Eddie Williamson collapsed during their game last week on the sidelines with chest pains. The angioplasty took care of him. He’s released from the hospital under fair condition.
- Both Texas’ Tre Newton and Kansas State’s William Powell are done with football. Newton quit because of concussion concerns and Powell had a season ending injury. The bigger blow comes to the Wildcats as he was a multi position threat.