Crib Sheet: Kicking Off Another Season
HO BOY OH BOY OH BOY! It’s here! Well, one more day. But finally after an anguishing offseason, college football is back! Tomorrow night kicks it off and we get our itch scratch all the way through January. Here we go! But first, the last Crib Sheet of the offseason:
- Whoah, so police searched LSU’s Jordan Jefferson place looking for bloody clothes. They walked away with 49 pairs of sneakers. Then there are reports that Jefferson kicked a guy. But supposedly the kickee started the whole thing by throwing the first punch. This is turning out into a he said she said deal real quick. In the meantime, he turned himself in and is released on bond.
- LSU’s Russell Shepard has been suspended for the season opener. Not for fighting, but for breaking some NCAA rules by telling a teammate about investigative interviews before the teammate was to be interviewed. Man keeping things on lockdown, NCAA.
- The upset machine that is Appalachian State will be trucking through the Big House once again in 2014. Will they be an FBS team by then? Who knows, but one thing is for sure, there will be blood on the floor after that game.
- Delvon Simmons was a hoss of recruit this year and signed with North Carolina. He had a change of heart and wanted to go to Texas Tech. He went and now he’s eligible. It should be a big help for the Red Raiders defensive line.
- Big boys Verizon FiOS will be carrying the Longhorns Network. They also notched a whole bunch of tiny ones. I haven’t heard of the big boys yet. Will this work? Oh, and for what it’s worth, they will not be showing any high school programming.
- It sounds like 13 is the unlucky number for Miami as that is the number of reported ineligible players, including Jacoby Harris, that will stay so until the NCAA clears them. I can’t help but think how this will help K-State’s chances when the play them this year. Okay, I was wrong, it was 12. Man some of those guys will be out. Will it be enough for KSU?
- Texas A&M basically announced that they are leaving the Big 12 by saying they are exploring options and looking for official steps to leave the league. I’m already over the almost fact that they are leaving. They just got the letter from the Big 12 with the instructions on how to leave the Big 12. Let’s hope they are smart enough to follow it. They are still putting out fires about an alleged letter sent to the Big 12 about withdrawing. There’s also a phone call in there somewhere too. This will all be over soon, people. Patience.
- Why? Well, SMU of all teams is flirting their skirt toward the Big 12 already. Will other schools clamor to join on up?
- Not Notre Dame. They confirmed that being independent is the priority for the school. I can respect that.
- Maybe it’s Dan Beebe and the Big 12 pretty much saying that they will move swift is what has SMU all hot and bothered. How cool would it be if they nabbed 12 teams and brought back the title game? I’d be stoked. There’s a committee on the prowl, folks.
- The Alamo Bowl is paying attention as well. You know, they shouldn’t have anything to worry about. If Texas A&M can bring in Alabama, then it will fill up right quick.
- What’s even more interesting is that Arkansas of all schools sniffed around the Big 12 last year, even though officials are denying it. Well they are not going now, but it’s nice to dream.
- As part of their settlement following the death of Declan Sullivan, Notre Dame kicked off a website dedicated to aerial lift safety. It only takes a second ….to save a life.
- The new scoreboard at Iowa State looks pretty snazzy. It’s the only thing I’m excited about for Iowa State this year.
- Another head related injury was the culprit for the death of Derek Sheely. You know, how come helmets have been the same? Why don’t they just fuse the helmet to shoulder pads so the rest of the body can absorb the shock? Or maybe make the helmets bigger and better. If this keeps up, we’ll be seeing Division I two hand touch and that will be a sad, sad, day.
- The dog that stayed with a fallen Navy Seal at his funeral may lead the Iowa football team on the field at some point this year. Another funeral for Iowa? Yeah they won’t win the Big 10 this year.
- Oklahoma is working on a TV network. Well duh, everyone in the Big 12 should. Texas A&M isn’t, which is more evidence that they are out.
- Hurricane Irene did decent enough damage to postpone at least one football game this weekend. Uconn will just have to reschedule against powerhouse Fordham.