Crib Sheet: Twas The Night Before Thanksgiving
And all through the house, pumpkin pie was baking and I was aroused (with hunger). Yup, it’s that time of year again. This year, I’m planning on laying back and actually watching some competitive football. For once it will be both for the NFL and college football. So there’s been a feast of news leading up to turkey day and I wrapped it up in a big ole slice of Crib Sheet. It’s kinda like fish and chips, but with college football news and less of stink. I hope. Here is this week’s fresh Crib Sheet:
- The ex Fiesta Bowl COO just got indicted by a federal grand jury for filing false income tax returns. You know, I’m worried about filing the wrong taxes every year. Granted I do not bubble up the kind of cash that the Fiesta Bowl does so it’s a little easier for me to be off.
- So Gary Pinkel got a DWI and had to spend last Saturday’s win against Texas Tech at home. Yup, he was suspended. He’ll also lose out on some cash as well. So if he slips up again he’ll be off the team. Still I think he will fit in nicely in SEC.
- The Columbia banned got to play last weekend even though they were on the hook for changing up the words of the team’s fight song. Apparently the team played so bad the band decided to get snarky about it. I’m glad they played, you can change up words to any song and make it just as interesting.
- The BCS is mulling the idea of only handling the championship game. I guess they don’t want to deal with the drama anymore. I’m not sure that most sports writers will like it, but they hate everything anyway.
- The NCAA is piling on Penn State by launching its own investigation regarding the scandal that hit the campus in the last couple of weeks. Meanwhile, the foundation led by Jerry Sandusky will fold. That’s all the news of that scandal I can handle for one week.
- But I will say that Joe Paterno has a treatable form of lung cancer. Jeez, you get to be the winningest coach in Division I history and all of the sudden you get fired due to a sex scandal AND lung cancer. Did this guy make a deal with the devil?
- Tailgating can be dangerous. A driver of a U-Haul truck load of beer kegs ran over and killed a girl while delivering the booze trough the tailgating area at the Harvard-Yale game lsat week. That is just terrible. I hope at least that they figure out a better way to deliver the beer and pay off the family of the woman kajillions of doller from the endowments of the schools. They have the money.
- ESPN analyst Lee Corso apologized on air for cursing during his pick of the Houston-SMU game last week. That is hilarious. I’m glad he’s old enough not to give a fuck anymore.
- Because of Miami’s troubles in the last couple of months, they will not play in a bowl game this year. On the other hand Ohio State WILL play. Okay I have a little more respect for Miami now. I have the same amount for Ohio State: none.
- RichRod has a new home: Arizona. It will be a better fit for him. Expecations will be low and he will have plenty of time to build up the team, unlike in Michigan.
- Kansas State would like to remind you that they are the 2011 Texas State Champions. I already ordered mine.
- It looks like BYU broke off talks with the Big East. I can slowly hear the Big East dying.