Mascot Monday is back and we are racing to make it in under the wire. Fortunately for use, we will be looking at the University of Texas at San Antonio’s Rowdy the Roadrunner. In celebration of instituting their very first year of football, I’m gonna do a fly over on Rowdy and see if he can stack up well against veteran mascots right out of the gate. I’m going to toss in a preview of some of their opponents for the next couple of years as well as talk about the legendary coach that’s taking his shot at building a program from the ground up.
Continue reading Mascot Monday: Rowdy
This week’s Crib Sheet will not leave you blue, in fact it should leave you pretty happy. If you get anything out of this week’s mascot, it’s that it may take almost 100 years for a school to get something right. Utah State’s Big Blue went through many a transformations before landing on the current costumed character we see bouncing down the sidelines today. We’ll learn about how to treat a live animal, and your personal property, along the way. So cheer up, folks, Big Blue’s coming and he’s coming to turn your blues into a warm, happy yellow.
Continue reading Mascot Monday: Big Blue
You know it’s fun to dress up when you’re a mascot. Most of the time, all you have to do is zip up costume, toss on some shoulder pads, and drop a big ole furry head on your shoulders. That’s tons of fun, but to me, slapping on some warpaint and gigging up to look like a warrior is way better. That’s why I’m pumped to talk about The Aztec Warrior and San Diego State. It seems fluffy characters outweigh the human ones so when I get a chance to review one that sports weapons, I get super psyched.
Continue reading Mascot Monday: The Aztec Warrior
It’s been a real quiet week. Hey, the weather’s finally coming around and everyone’s outside doing stuff. What are we doing at the KCCGD headquarters? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. We’ve been recovering since SXSW and it’s not time yet to do some cleaning. So we’ve been lounging and laying around soaking up some non conditioned air. We had just enough energy to pump out another Crib Sheet. So check it out while we take a nap:
- Oklahoma State’s Pistol Pete is your new ESPN Radio Mascot Champion. After taking over the college bracket, Pete beat up Benny the Bull from the Chicago Bulls and the pro side. Congrats Pete! Be sure to check up on our review of this guy here.
- The Kansas Jayhawks have a new deal with IMG that includes a new video board for the stadium. Hopefully, the screen size will be big enough to fit highlights of former head coach Mark Mangino.
- Texas A&M students have a shot to play with the big boys on campus this week. They can catch a touchdown, tackle a runner, and do other things with the football players in the ‘Pigskin Palooza’. Head coach Tommy Tubberville says this is all in good fun, but we’re thinking he’s secretly looking for more players. Hey, the military can produce some major athletes, just not general ones.
- The Little Caesars Bowl continues onward with the re-up of the MAC and the Big Ten. But it gets a little different after that. The top MAC team will face the 8th place team in the Big Ten, if that team is eligible. If not, a Sun Belt Conference team will take its place. Or, the MAC and Sun Belt will play in the Little Caesars Bowl.
- Bill Snyder 2.0 came back stronger. They have the technology to do so. They will need again apparently. The Kansas State head coach tore both his MCL and ACL during spring practice. He even coached the rest of practice after the incident. This old guy is tough. Let’s hope he gets a robot leg.
Mascot beginnings come in all shapes and sizes. From local attractions to student voted, the origination come from all over the place. This week we’re going to find out about one of the coolest mascot origins. No, it’s not Wolverine (as in X-Men), but Oklahoma State’s Pistol Pete. We’ll also talk about the late to the race live mascot aptly named Bullet. So strap on in pardner as we’re about to mosey on down memory lane and make a stop at Stillwater’s favorite ‘Poke.
Continue reading Mascot Monday: Pistol Pete and Bullet
College Sports, Kansas City style