Hey it’s BCS Championship time and I’m staying in for the festivities. The teams are taking the field and I’m staring at a coin toss coming up. It’s been a better regular season so I’m hoping the Big Game can make up for an otherwise lackluster bowl season. I’m still surprised KU won the way they did. Anywho, click on more and refresh the page for updates.
- 7:18 PM: I was late getting back from the gym and I popped on the TV right as I got in. What I discovered was the absolute worst rendition of the Star Spangled Banner I’ve heard. I’m seriously, Jazz is great, but it sounded like a friggin’ high school band struggling out there. That and the white guy is no male diva. I don’t even know what that means.
- 7:23 PM: And we’re off! This is gonna be a home game for LSU. At least Mr. All State CEO business casual guy seems impartial.
- 7:26 PM: Whoah big hole! And he’s gone! The Buckeyes started out almost the same way last year. Let’s see if they end up the same way.
- 7:33 PM: LSU looks like crap. I guess we know who showed up to the game. The Tressel DVD is working great.
- 7:55 PM: Commercial time. Let’s flip to American Gladiators! Yes, the show is back and I actually enjoy it. It’s a little too over the top, but that’s what made it great. Hulk Hogan is just the right star power to keep it going, brotha. Crush is by far the hottest gladiatorette.
- 8:03 PM: End of the 1st Quarter. The Buckeyes started strong but the LSU calmed down and got it back within a touchdown. 10-3 Ohio Sate. LSU almost coughed up that ball there at the end of the quarter. I’m kinda bummed out that there isn’t another episode of American Gladiators. At least I got Rambo Commercials to look forward too.
- 8:11 PM: A couple of penalties against the Buckeyes and it’s 10-10. They scored quick too. The late hit looked a little questionable.
- 8:17 PM: Welcome to the stiff arm school. A nice couple of pops to the helmet and Ohio State is moving. They need to stop the penalties though. Regardless, the football gods are shining down on this game tonight.
- 8:20 PM: Damn! Nice stop by the D-Back on that one. He barely got his fingertips in there. It was a sure touchdown.
- 8:22 PM: Blocked! That hurt OSU there. Almost had flashbacks of Appalachan State/Michigan.
- 8:30 PM: The Tigers just set the cruise control on their offense and boy are they humming. 17 unanswered and it’s 17-0. Tressel can’t wait for halftime to get here.
- 8:36 PM: Boy Beckmen floated that turd up there. Interception by the Tigers and I’m starting to think that the losing streak by the Buckeyes to the SEC will stay in tact after tonight.
- 8:43 PM: This is starting to get ugly. 24 unanswered and the Big 10 is making another strong showing. 0-2 in the BCS? They should kick them out of the BCS for sucking so bad.
- 8:48 PM: Bo Pelini taking over. Ha. What a great name. You know he’s gonna be a great football coach because of his name. Nebraska can look forward to adding Bo’s name in the same whisper as Houston Nut and maybe Bear Bryant.
- 8:52 PM: Halftime. 24-10. If LSU can come back from 10 down, OSU can do the same at 14. They also left 3 points on the board with that blocked kick. Somehow I hope run into James Carvelle and knock his ass on the ground during halftime. It has nothing to do with the game, I just want to see his face rocked.
- 8:59 PM: It’s halftime and yet once again we are subjected to college bands performing on the field. Now I love the arts, and I wish to be in a band someday, but marching bands are totally worthless. Most end up joining ska bands (with the exception of Trent Reznor) or not performing at all. When will people wake up and realize that halftime shows are elaborate time killers while people get up to piss and get more food? I don’t know. Even dotting the ‘I’ seems lame anymore.
- 9:16 PM: “So, Urban, why did you choke so bad against Michigan? Even with a Heisman winner?”
- 9:22 PM: And here’s the 2nd half. I like Chris Myers better when he was on ESPN. What happened to him? Is being a sideline reporter a demotion?
- 9:33 PM: Yikes, just when you think Ohio State is turning the momentum around, they run into the kicker. I’m still holding out for comeback juice.
- 9:37 PM: Ugly Ugly Ugly Ugly Ugly tackling there. Is Ohio State’s defense getting schooled or what? The proverbial towel is about to be tossed and now I’m wishing I taped American Gladiators from last night. LSU 31-10.
- 9:51 PM: BIG Interception for Ohio State. Why in the hell is LSU passing? 4th down goaline pass and it’s 31-17. Hey at least I can start paying attention to the game again.
- 10:06 PM: Another defensive stop by Ohio State. Methinks the momentum has fully turned. I believe it as to do with that Laurentitus(sic) kid. What was his dad again? Road Warrior Hawk or Road Warrior Animal. OOHHHHHHHH WHAT A RUSH!
- 10:17 PM: Huge play for LSU. I swear that OSU quarterback is not Troy Smith. He is sucking as bad as Troy did last year, though.
- 10:21 PM: Another stop by OSU. They’re defense has clamped down. Time for the offense to earn their keep.
- 10:28 PM: Hey a 4th down conversion! LSU starting to look shakey. Maybe a last second play to decide the game?
- 10:31 PM: Whoops, spoke too soon. Beckman another interception. Ready Hammer. Position Nail.
- 10:34 PM: So LSU is passing still? Oh wait, draw play nevermind. They converted on 4th down and this game is over folks. LSU 31 OSU 17 with 3 minutes left to go in the game.
- 10:39 PM: Playaction to the endzone. LSU 38 OSU 17. I hope no one else scores, my fingers are getting tired.
- 10:51 PM: After a respect touchdown, LSU wins 38-24. Now I have to piss.
Okay. They just handed out the trophy and named the players of the game. I’m a lil sleepy so I’ll make this quick. It’s kind of hard to ignore the SEC as the big dog conference of college football. I have to admit, during the year I was getting annoyed about how the sports media pretty much handed them the crown. After tonight, I’m a believer. With the Big 12 a close second. Wink wink.
With the SEC going 2-0 in BCS games you have the Big 10 going 0-2. One point I will always stand next to is how the Big 10 is extremely overrated. Yes, it’s the birthplace of football and everything like that. Tradition blah blah blah. But the last couple of years have shown that the only thing that’s held up the Big 10 is tradition.
It was a great year of football and next year should be just as exciting. Look for KU and MU to be tough again. Look for the Big 12 to be tough. Ohio State will probably find its way back again to the title game. Georgia will be hard fought and USC will carry the Pac 10 on its back. Nobody else counts. Seriously. Until next year, we’ll be dropping news here and there as well as looking to ramp up some sweet sports bar hopping.