For such a weak lineup of games this weekend we actually got some meat to the schedule. Some teams went by the wayside while others stepped up to the task. Watch me talk about Kansas State, TCU, Gary Patterson, Iowa State, Oklahoma, Blake Bell, Trevor Knight, Texas, Oklahoma State, Mack Brown, Kansas, West Virginia, Baylor, Texas Tech, Georgia, Auburn, USC, Stanford, Oregon, Pac 12, SEC, and the Big 12. Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 95: The Plot Thickens
No, I’m not leaving. But apparently alot of other people and organizations are. This week’s PYR will go over the very tiny sample of games I watched over the weekend and also talk about what’s moving and shaking outside of the field. That includes Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Trevor Knight, Blake Bell, Tommy Reese, LSU, Clemson, NCAA, Penn State, Big 10, Jim Delany, EA Sports, Mark Emmert, Texas, Mack Brown, and DeLoss Dodds. Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 88: Lots Of Goodbyes This Week
Whew my picks last week stunk. It almost stuck as much as my pick for Kansas State over Texas. Yes, it was for the spread and yes, they didn’t make it. So how am I going to recover this week? Fortunately Kansas State is off so I don’t have to worry about them. There are some Top 25 matchups that could smooth the blow and get me back on the road to recovery. There’s also a nice little non conference matchup that will be exciting as well. Continue reading Pick It And Stick It: Getting Kinda Flakey Here
The Crib Sheet returns! Now that we’ve finally shaken off basketball, congrats North Carolina, we can start focusing on college baseball. Psyche! We’re still talking football. This last week saw some interesting cruft float by. Springs practices are going on and we’re starting to get some news trickle out about who’s doing well and who’s tanking. But more on that later. Here’s what else that happened in the past week:
- Rugby is making its presence known in college football with the Texas Longhorn’s punter Justin Tucker. Last year he tried some rugby styled punts and it proved successful. So this year they are asking him and the rest of the punters to try it again both right and left footed. It’s a little dizzying indeed, but it’s great to see some innovation come out of a kicking meme that’s been around forever. Now all Tucker needs is some knocked out teeth to fully bring the rugby pain.
- Tim Griffin reports that a top quarterback recruit from the Wichita area, Blake Bell, has committed to Oklahoma. This stings a little more because he’s right in K-State’s backyard. Oklahoma is the mean machine in the Big 12 so why not go there.
- The New York Times has a piece about Army’s new football coach Rich Ellerson. Apparently his orders are to win now. Seems easy, right? I watched Army play Navy last Thanksgiving and their camoflague uniforms were tight. That’s the only reason I’m rooting this guy to succeed. It sounds kinda gay so don’t tell Rich.
- Chase Daniels looks good as a coach. He was hanging out at the Mizzou practices helping out the new offensive coordinator, Dave Yost. He’s not really gonna make it in the NFL so coaching would be the next best thing for Chase. Just don’t teach them how to eat boogers.
- The Texas Longhorns assistant coaches feel like champions today. They pocketed an extra bonus for the Big 12 Championship, even though technically Oklahoma won the title. Apparently the athletic director talked the school president into the pay. Mack Brown didn’t dip into his bonus. They are sounding a lot like Utah when it comes to titles and championships and such.