Western Europe meets the western Kansas City area as we trucked way the heck out to Shawnee to view Saturday’s selections at J. Murphy’s Irish Pub and Grille. The games lined up for the afternoon seemed like a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. The traditional fare sprinkled the joint so well we were waiting for a Contra Dance to bust out. And the food, well the food was all it was cracked up to be, Irish wise. But there was so much more than really cheesy Irish references (which we will stop as of now) at J. Murphy’s.
So the voters spoke and we’re feeling Irish this week at J. Murphy’s. It’s not March yet, but we have a feeling it’s going to end up like it by the time we get done here. So let’s run down the stats on the bar. Green decor. Check. Beer (with Guinness). Check. Irish Whiskey. Check. Corned Beef and Cabbage. Check. All football games. Check. Looks like they meet the requirements for an Irish sports bar. Come out with us Saturday to find out if the proof is in the Shepard’s Pie. Erin go bragh!
When: Saturday, September 26, 2009
Time: 12:00 pm
Where: J. Murphy’s Irish Pub and Grill, 22730 Midland Dr, Shawnee, KS 913.825.3880
- 8:00 PM CT Missouri at Nevada Friday
- 11:00 PM CT Southern Miss at No. 20 Kansas
- 1:10 PM CT Tennessee Tech at Kansas State
- 2:30 PM CT UTEP at No. 2 Texas
- 2:30 PM CT No. 9 Miami (FL) at No. 11 Virginia Tech
- 2:30 PM CT Illinois at No. 13 Ohio State (Illibuck Trophy)
- 2:30 PM CT No. 15 TCU at Clemson
- 6:00 PM CT Grambling State at No. 16 Oklahoma State
- 6:00 PM CT Louisiana-Lafayette at No. 25 Nebraska
- 6:00 PM CT Army at Iowa State
- 6:00 PM CT Northwestern State at Baylor
- 6:00 PM CT UAB at Texas A&M
- 7:00 PM CT Iowa at No. 5 Penn State
- 7:00 PM CT Notre Dame at Purdue (Shillelagh Trophy)
- 8:15 PM CT Texas Tech at No. 17 Houston
- 9:00 PM CT New Mexico State at New Mexico (Battle of I-25 for the Maloof Trophy)
Notes: It’s a somewhat of a trap game for Missouri as they head to Nevada Friday night. Kansas hopefully will turn their punches toward Southern Miss and not the basketball team when they host the Golden Eagles. Virginia Tech plays another game of the week when they host newly resurgent Miami. The Illibuck Trophy is up for grabs as Illinois heads to Ohio State and hope for an upset like last time. Speaking of upsets, Iowa hopes to do the same thing this year to Penn State like they did last year and derail their national title hopes. The Shillelagh Trophy is up for grabs when the Fighting Irish take on the Purdue Boilermakers. Texas Tech takes a long road trip to Houston and look to duke it out against the newly christened cinderella Houston Cougars. Finally New Mexico and New Mexico State meet for the 100th time this weekend in the Battle of I-25 and the Maloof Trophy.
Here’s the voting results from facebook:
We were very skeptical when we strolled toward the Johnny’s Tavern setup on the corner of the Power & Light District in Downtown Kansas City. We’ve been to a couple of places around there before and the experiences were weak. We had some hope, however, as Johnny’s Tavern came through for us before. After spending the afternoon there we can say it is the best bar in the district. The food was great, the poker game was loads of fun, and the games on the screens were stellar. If you own or work at a bar around that area, read on to see how to make it successful.