I’ve been going back and forth trying to figure out which place to go for this week’s barspot. It’s not that big of a weekend in terms of college football as #1 and #2 isn’t playing. My team is however and it’s kind of a championship weekend for them. So what better place to watch the game than Champions! They are smack dab downtown and offer up a tight little joint for some football watching. I was actually there 2 years ago for SXSW and stopped by there for lunch during the conference. It was my first stop at a sports bar in Austin. So I’m bringing out all the stops for this weekend’s games.
Continue reading Barspotting: Champions
So I’m just now getting back into the swing of things now that I’m back from the SXSW conference. The yearly Music/Film/Interactive conference can take a toll on your body and even though I got back Monday, I’m still feeling the effect. The drive there uses I-35 and actually hits up a couple of college towns. Big 12 wise, we sped through Oklahoma’s home in Norman and landed in Austin, the home of the Texas Longhorns. Which one is better? It’s not fair, really. The conference was in Austin and I only drove through Oklahoma. Now here’s this week’s Crib Sheet:
- Speaking of Texas, apparently they are hitting the eiquette skills as well as the plyometric skills down in Austin. If you are going to be a football dignitary, the I guess you would need to know how to flaunt elitist like chops. Do they really need to know how to hold a fork right when tearing into some ribs from the Salt Lick, however?
- Much ballyhooed recruit Bryce Brown has left the Tennessee program, due to either personal issues or the fact that Lane Kiffin left. So let the rumor mills begin again! First one out of the gate: Bryce’s brother left Miami and is heading the K-State. So that means there may be a chance Bryce will come play for Bill Snyder 2.0 and the Wildcats. I hope the second round of hype around Bryce is faster.
- Weakened and ill coach Urban Meyer returned to the Florida Gators and practice last week. If you remember he quit the team due to health reasons but then came back when he realized that he could get better. Or at least put on some poundage. This year will be a nice off year for Meyer so he can reload next year, both on football and his health.
- Just like when baseball’s Chicago Cubs shocked everyone and had its first ever night game a decade or two ago, now the Big House in Michigan will be doing the same. What better way to do so than against the Notre Dame Fighthing Irish? This should be a close game, with a new coach on one side and another almost on the hot seat.
- Nick Saban is your first ever Bobby Bowden national collegiate coach of the year. The Over the Mountain Touchdown Club is in Bowden’s home town of Birmingham, Alabama. Not much surprise here. The coach that wins the national title for the school in the home state of the award title’s name. Zlam Dunk.
- Expansion or not, the Pac 10 may be looking into instituting a conference title game. Commissioner Larry Scott mentioned that when going over all expansion possibilities with CBS Sports. There’s an NCAA rule that states you need to have 12 teams to have a conference title game. So if they do want to do it without expansion, then they need to change that rule.
Hey, I trucked down to SXSW here in Longhorn Country and Austin, Texas. So who would’ve thunk that we would actually be diligent enough to post another Crib Sheet? Well, we did. Here’s this week’s shortened Crib Sheet:
We’re gearing up for a road trip this week. If you are down in the Austin, Texas area for SXSW for the next 2 weeks, be sure to drop us a line. The contrast between the home of the Texas Longhorns and the leader Big 12 South versus Kansas City and the epicenter of the Big 12 North should give us plenty of fodder to chew on for the next couple of weeks. We’re taking no breaks, however, and this week’s Mascot Monday also gives us a good contrast between a good mascot and a bad one. Now, we’ve seen some non-plussed mascots before but we think YoUDee from the University of Delaware takes the cake. So come with us on the journey to find out about this blue hen.
Continue reading Mascot Monday: YoUDee