National Signing Day is over and I won’t discuss winners and losers. There’s way more smarter people than me that can tell you that. Stick around and watch me talk about things like Mack Brown, Texas, Kansas State, Jake Waters, Ole Miss, Hugh Freeze, Nkemdiche, Big East, Catholic 7, ESPN, Disney, NBC, Notre Dame, ACC, Penn State, Freeh Report, Oregon, Nike, and Phil Knight. Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 55: Signed, Sealed, and Reported
The biggest day ever is about to happen! Yup, it even tops the Super Bowl. That’s National Signing Day! Although something bigger happened earlier in the week. That was Bill Snyder getting a contract extension. Watch me talk about that was well as Reuben Foster, Alabama, Auburn, Texas, Texas A&M, Johnny Manziel, and Kirby Ennis. Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 54: Super Signing Bowl Blackout
Ah yes, another Purple Yeti Roar is in the house! I’m still recovering from the copious amount of beer and bar food from yesterday’s Super Bowl, but I had enough time to sit down and roar out my thoughts about college football for the week. Yes, National Signing Day came and left (with a hunger for Chic-Fil-A as well). Most of the news for the week, however, revolved around West Virginia’s maneuvering and game cancelling. Interesting indeed. Cue the John Devner!
We’re still tucked away with snow here at KCCGD headquarters and it’s time to finally wind things down, college football wise. Spring practices and the draft is coming up, but that won’t be for a couple of months. This week’s Crib Sheet surely reflects that. Now I could waste a couple items with arrests and dismissals, but that happens every couple of weeks anyway. So grab yourself some hot cocoa, sit right back, and enjoy a nice little Crib Sheet:
- National Signing Day came and we have the expected news for each local team. Kansas State got some JuCo and family commitments, Missouri got another star quarterback, and Kansas got a decent crop of up and comers. No surprises here.
- Floyd Raven, a highly touted recruit, switched his commit from Ole Miss to Texas A&M. Too bad his mom didn’t find out. She went ahead and forged his letter of intent to Ole Miss while Floyd announced for Texas A&M. She was a little anxious and everyone else gave her a Mulligan for it.
- Sad news: The Georgia Bulldog mascot UVA VIII died from lymphoma last week. Our condolences go out the entire UGA family.
- There was a minor brew-ha-ha during signing day coming from the provocative web cam of Alabama’s football office. Faxes of letters of intent were picked up by a member of the dancing squad and marked off. Yeah, it was tacky but it at least there was no nudity or anything.
- Freshly signed Kansas State quarterback Daniel Sams opened up his tenure dropping the bomb that Collen Klein will move back to wide receiver. How does that bode for the Wildcats? Maybe Sims is that good that the best quarterback from last year gets bumped to wide receiver. Either that or the recruiters told him a fib. At any rate, Sams will be running some laps for opening his mouth.
- Apparently transfer hungry Michigan quarterback Tate Forcier is looking at Kansas State as well as other schools. Will the Wildcats get this former Wolverine? You know, the other transfers from RichRods epic fail went on to do wonders for their team (think Ryan Mallet). Because of that, however, I’m thinking Forcier will head to a bigger school for his second chance. Still, it’s fun to dream.
It’s national signing day! Okay, so it’s not that exciting, but we have some Big 12 updates flying in and I don’t want to take away from the exciting coverage. Usually half the kids that are worth something don’t pan out anyway. It’s a good thing that ESPN covers this overhyped event in the only way that ESPN can over hype. Now on to the Crib Sheet:
- Another person involved in the Kansas ticket scandal, Charlette Blubaugh, plead guilty in court. Her husband will soon plead guilty as well. It looks like legal system works in the case of these folks.
- The Iowa Board of Regents ordered into an investigation as to why 13 Iowa football players were hospitalized after offseason workouts. The news just keeps getting worse up there. Take an investigation on perhaps illegal medical record access? It’s not the first time school athletes had this issue, either.
- Nebraska ended it’s apparel deal with quarterback Taylor Martinez’s dad, Casey. It was all on the part of Casey, too. Hey when your son is the starting quarterback for a school you just so happen to have a licensing deal with, things tend to look too fishy.
- Bill Snyder 2.0’s son, Sean, will coach the special teams as Associate Head Coach for the Kansas State Wildcats. Nepotism? Well, he was an All-American punter for the ‘Cats and was a staff member on the team for a very long time. How long? 17 years. He’s worth it.
- ESPN’s Erin Andrews is kind of a freak of media exposure. By exposure I mean the nude video taped in the hotel room that begat her appearance on Dancing With the Stars. Now, she’s taking that controversy and lackluster sideline reporting to Reebok. Some journalists are complaining that this throws the ethics out the winder but I’m afraid they forgot that Andrews is more of a pretty face than an actual sports reporter.
- Florida State quarterback Christian Ponder looked great in the Senior Bowl as he led the South over the North in a 24-10 victory. Texas A&M’s linebacker Von Miller had the defensive tops as well.
- USA Today talks about the trend of colleges oversigning players. Schools will dole out scholarships only to revoke them later for someone else or make kids ‘greyshirt’, which means have them enroll in January instead of the fall. Florida president J. Bernard Machen agrees that greyhirting blows. They talk about how the kids are the victim of this. It looks like one more reason to pay the kids that play big time ball to me.
- A bunch of Missouri players sold tickets to former footballs players in 2009. So the current players got a cut of the kickback for them. That’s a secondary violation for the NCAA. Yet another why the NCAA is useless.