Yeah when you get to be 30 episodes in, things tend to slow down a bit. So I’m going to lean back an lay down some good ‘ole fashioned football talk. Let’s have a fresh ginger ale and reminise about the week’s events in college football. We’ll be going over Oklahoma, Landry Jones, Kansas State, Big 12, West Virgrinia, Dana Holgorsen, Penn State, Colorado, Tyler Bray, Tyrann Mathieu, LSU, Denard Robinson, and Usain Bolt.
It’s ever so toasty down here in Austin, so I will keep this intro short and then grab some water. I broke a sweat already. Here’s this week’s Crib Sheet:
Another week of Mascot Monday and I’m getting into the groove of going over mascots from schools that have been in the news recently. It’s admittedly hard to come up with wacky mascots when you’ve been eyeballing costumed characters for as long as I have. So this week’s big news is the buyout of West Viriginia’s Bill Stewart so coach in waiting Dana Holgorsen can take over. If you remember, Holgorsen was in trouble for some casino incident but it was later found out that Stewart or a Stewart supporter started a smear campaign against him. This week we’ll let the story of The Mountaineer teach us something about competitive respect.
I’m recovered from Memorial Day, thanks to some fresh water and aloe vera. I did my part in taking a day of rest to recognize all of the great things our troops have done for America for its young history. I hope you did the same. Now I didn’t rest too much as the Crib Sheet must still keep chucking along. Here’s week’s edition:
Happy Holidays from everyone here at KC College GameDay! We’ll be taking a break over the holiday weekend and soak in some presents and bowls. I hope you all have a great time and we’ll see you next Tuesday for an update to the Bowl Pick It and Stick It. In the meantime, here’s this week’s Crib Sheet:
- So Colorado will end up playing California next year. You’re saying, “Duh, it’s a home and home!” Yes, but next year will be different as Colorado will be in the Pac 12 conference starting next year. What does that mean? It means that they are considering calling that game a non-conference game. Weird, right?
- Oklahoma State offensive coordinator Dana Holgorsen will be the new West Virginia offensive coordinator and the head coach the following year. I guess the coach in waiting thing has been sped up. I also wonder what this does for coaches who are at the top and don’t want to step down.
- So Mark Cuban is thinking of funding a college football playoff system. Wow. Just wow. He failed at buying two baseball teams and he’s itching to spend his money in some other sports arena. Cuban’s plan involves hitting up college athletic directors and presidents to drum up support. He needs to talk to the bowl people. Better yet, he needs to keep funneling money in his non-championship winning NBA franchise. BCS president Bill Hancock bitch-slapped him away, btw.
- The Big 12 Championship Game was the 4th highest rated football game for the season. The ones above had BCS title implications. Just goes to show you that the Big 12 brand can still run strong.
- The New York Times has a nice story about Rowan University football player Matt Hoffman. Hoffman gave up a game to donate some stem cells and saved a guy’s life. Good job, everyone should think about donating something at some point.
- ESPN has an article up about weak tickets sales for some bowls this year. Who’s not on the list? The Missouri Tigers. Good job by the fans for knocking out some tickets sales and showing up.
- Kansas was so close to getting a new athletic director from Tulsa, but Bubba Cunningham turned them down. Strange huh? I’m thinking Tulsa came up with the dough and Kansas didn’t look as posh as Cunningham though. This looks pretty bad for the Jayhawks.
- Big Ten Commissioner Jim Dlenay said that they may rethink the division names for the conference. Why? ‘Legends’ and ‘Leader’s is hilarious. Please keep it, Jim, so I can go back to it when I need a good chuckle.
- Another day, another Nebraska Cornhusker gets a DUI. This time it’s safety Ricky Thenarse. Looks like he won’t be going to the Holiday Bowl.
- Turner Gill landed a pretty great quarterback recruit from the hands of Colorado due to their coaching change. Apparently, Brock Berglund is a dual threat type guy. Let the slow rebuild begin.
- While the Cornhuskers are going through a rough patch of arrests, the fans are having a hard time getting up for the bowl game. Nebraska is actually offering free pairs of basketball tickets for people who buy bowl ticket games. I’m not sure they’ll make their allotment. Awesome.
- Oregon’s head coach Chip Kelly is your AP Head Coach of the Year. When you go undefeated, it makes winning this award easy.
- ESPN’s David Ubben reminds us that the Big 12 had the most consensus All-Americans of all of the conferences. They may be losing teams, but they still have the talent.