Welp, I survived SXSW just enough to be able to dribble out some college football new updates. There’s plenty to pick from so let me tell you how to win your news bracket. Watch me pick from NCAA, Big Ten, Jim Delany, Mike Slive, SEC, Big 12, Ed O’Bannon, Big East, Maryland, West Virginia, Cayleb Jones, Texas, Tyler Evans, Gabe Ikard, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Cinncinnati, and Tommy Tuberville. Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 60: College Football News Bracketology
The regular season is official over. Now it’s on to bowl season! But before we get into that, we must get on the annual coaching carousel. I’ll go over that as well as Kansas State, Big 12, Collin Klein, Mante Te’o, Johnny Manziel, Heisman Trophy, SEC, Tennessee, Arkansas, Bret Bielma, Auburn, Tommy Tuberville, Cincinnati, Mike Gundy, ESPN, Fox, and the BCS. Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 46: Take A Ride On My Carousel
Ah yeah, the Big 12 is back baby! Oh well, it didn’t really go anywhere. Compared to last year, this offseason was a walk in the park. Why is that? Well, we have some new faces in the mix and some old faces hit the road. I think truly for the first time in the last 3 years, there is some stability here. That makes me happy. What makes me happier is the new season so let’s see how this conference shakes out. Continue reading A Better Big 12 For 2012
This Purple Yeti is too busy chopping wood for the fire to bring you much for the rest of January. Look for some new giblets starting February. In the meantime, I have the Crib Sheet to you warm. Check it out:
- So ESPN’s David Ubben points us to the overall bowl record for conferences. The Big 12 finished at the bottom, tied with the Big 10. It’s pretty bad for the conference when they notch the same record as an overrated conference that needed to expand to stay relevent.
- It looks like an imminent NFL lock out is scaring at least some college players from coming out early. Oklahoma State’s Brandon Weeden and mega star Justin Blackmon are both staying behind for one more round. The Cowboys will be a tough cookie next year to chew on.
- Michigan contacted Gary Pinkel’s agent to ask for an interview. Pinkel turned it down. One dis from the Big 10 deserves a dis right back. That and Missouri already competes for the title now. It will take Michigan a couple of years before they get back on track.
- RichRod dumped about 430 maize and blue gear on the Salvation Army on his way out of Michigan. At least he did one good thing while he was up there. I wonder if he cried on his way out of the store.
- That said, things are looking up for Michigan, now that they’ve replaced RichRod with Brady Hoke. The ‘Predator’ Denard Robinson decided to stay and Hoke landed the NFL’s Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Greg Mattison. I swear this is the last Michigan news for a long, long time.
- The Big 10 is keeping the Legends and Leaders division name for the 2011. Dang, I was hoping they’d change it to the Losers and Lamers divisions.
- Help me out on this one: So the NCAA shut down a proposal that would stop head coaches from offering scholarships to kids as young as middle school age but they then want tougher rules against parents shopping around their kids. So, the NCAA wants coaches to bribe kids without parents getting in the way? Um, usually middle school kids need a legal guardian to represent them. This seems very contradictory. Or obvious. The NCAA wants to take full advantage of the kids and no one else, including the parents of the kids.
- Rodney Jones, a former university official, plead guilty to in his part of the $2 million ticket scalping scandal at the University of Kansas. Cue the Law & Order music.
- Continuing on our legal theme, John Lomax III plead no contest to the killing of UConn football player Jasper Howard. Again with the Law & Order music.
- Texas Tech was so impressed with Tommy Tuberville’s first year that they’ve already given him an extension. Can he keep it up? It’s doesn’t matter now because his buyout will probably be sweeter.
It’s the last Mascot Monday of the offseason and the KCCGD offices are all over the place. We’re getting ready for the start of a new season and we have time for one more send up to our favorite distractions, mascots. We had some crazy mascots, some hardcore mascots, and some live animal mascots paraded across every Monday. For our final one, we will take a look at a mascot from a preseason top 25 team in Ole Miss. Except that there isn’t a mascot, or at least not an official one.