We are ever so close to the start of the college football season and ever so close to the end of this offseason’s edition of Mascot Mondays. This week, we are at Phil Steele’s number 39 in his preseason Top 50 poll for 2011 and the Mississippi State Bulldogs. There is, of course, another Bulldog team in the SEC and much like the other team, Mississippi State has both a live and a costumed mascot. Bully’s the name, and mascotting is both of their games. I am going to dig deep and find the Bully bone of history buried deep in Mississippi State’s backyard.
Continue reading Mascot Monday: Bully
It’s another week of Mascot Monday and we’re heading up to the Great North…West! The Washington Huskies looked to be competitive last year with mega-stud quarterback Jake Locker at the helm. The season fizzled early with a beatdown from Nebraska but they totally redeemed themselves with a win over the Cornhuskers at the Holiday Bowl. This week we bring the freshness as both the live and costumed version of the mascots recently went under some improvements. We’ll also question why some universities don’t give enough love on their websites to mascots. Bring a coat, it’s gonna get just a tad bit chilly.
Continue reading Mascot Monday: Harry the Husky with Dubs
Welp, Armageddon has come. Nebraska is going to the Big 10. After the speculation, the rumors, and the threat of the Big 12 South going to the Pac 10, we have our first major move in the modern era of expansion. The Big 12 meetings last week provided some ultimatums and some wishy-washy talk. Now it looks as though Friday is the day for the official announcement from the Cornhuskers. After that, it seems the Big 12 South, sans Baylor and including Colorado, will be going to the Pac 10. The rest of the teams, well, they are left behind. Kansas City will become a ghost of a sports town. Besides all of this depressing talk, there was other news this week. Here’s the Crib Sheet:
When we started doing the Mascot Monday posts here at the KCCGD, we knew we had to go over each and every one of the Big 12 mascots. Welp, today is the big day. This is our last mascot we will feature here from the Big 12. Now, there is some talk that a certain conference that is expressing certain expansion talks, so who knows? Maybe there will be more teams that we haven’t featured yet be wrapped into the loving arms of the Big 12 and enable us to check out its fluffy cheerleader. Until then, we saved the best for last. This week on our last Big 12 mascot, we will be taking a big look at Ralphie from the Colorado Buffalos.
Continue reading Mascot Monday: Ralphie
It’s been awhile since we’ve done a live mascot so it’s refreshing to see one perched up and proud way down south in College Station, Texas. Yes, where most of us are familiar with Texas A&M’s marching band. But how many of you out there are familiar with Texas A&M’s live mascot Reveille? Now she could be mistaken for TV’s Lassie but we know better. Come with us on a mascot journey that takes up through the ranks of the military and back down to the deep heart of Texas. Wake up, it’s Reveille.
Continue reading Mascot Monday: Reveille
It’s a short week here at the KCCGD. We gotta pack up tonight and get ready to hit the highway big time for Turkey Day. We still have some time to get pumped for college football. Usually when you think of football and Thanksgiving, it’s the NFL games with Detroit and Dallas. But, there is even a bigger tradition for Thanksgiving and college football. Rivalries are all over the place and it’s spread out nicely across the whole weekend. So while the travel may be plentiful for us and maybe you, we are guaranteed some live college football at some point. Happy Thanksgiving and here’s the Crib Sheet:
- Mascot Monday participant UGA VII of Georgia died last night due to a heart failure. Our condolences goes out to the university and all live animal mascots out there.
- ESPN Page 2 columnist Matthew Iles talks about some of the more goofy rivalry trophies in college football. We like the Old Brass Spittoon the best. I wonder if, at the end of the game, whether or no the winner spits in it and if it makes a ba-doing noise.
- Florida State barely got bowl eligibility last weekend by edging out Maryland 29 – 26. Bobby Bowden may end up being forced out anyway at the end of the year. The guy has been getting from all sides down there.
- Some Big 12 coaches are jumping to the defense of Kansas coach Mark Mangino. Mike Leech and Bob Stoops are covering for him, even though they are alot like him. The surprising one was Bill Snyder 2.0. Coaches need to look out for each other and we’re seeing a pretty good case of this right here.
- Jimmy Clausen could have used some defense when he was cold cocked by a fan in front of a South Bend restaurant. Not very Catholic-like indeed. Jimmy’s out at the end of the year and heading to the NFL. This incident merely sealed the deal.
- That’s just the tip of the iceberg for Notre Dame. Charlie Weis pretty much said it himself when we stated that there is no surprise if the Irish can him at the end of the year. Urban Meyer keeps telling the press he’s out, signaling the start of a new coaching search for the Domers. No more vaunted, Charlie Weis led, Notre Dame Fighthing Irish.
- Taylor Potts last week wore ‘Nick’ on the back of his jersey, now we know why. Mike Leech talks about his man love former Kansas linebacker Nick Reid. He never met him but for some reason he’s always thought Reid was the ultimate football player. We’re still trying to figure this out. It did help inspire them to a win though.
Over the weekend in professional land (NFL), they held the draft and Matthew Stafford gained the honor of being the number one pick for the Detroit Lions. Stafford’s recently former school is the Georgia Bulldogs so this episode of Mascot Monday will take a peek at the dynamic duo of Hairy Dawg and Uga. Uga has a rich history and following. Hairy Dawg is relatively new compared to Uga, but he’s just now turning the corner of mascot-dom. Whether these two will be the number one pick in a mascot draft, we’re unsure of. But word from Kiper tells us they could go top ten.
Continue reading Mascot Monday: Uga and Hairy Dawg