This week I actually follow through on some Sunday fun day college football all day talk. And I get to go through a run sheet that is just so criminial. Speaking of criminal, the BCS bowl game predictions from Phil Steele should land him some time up the river. Hop on board while I go through that and Oregon, Chip Kelly, NCAA, Bo Pelini, Nebraska, Vanderbilt, Oklahoma, Chuka Ndulue, ESPN, BCS National Championship Game, Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, Orange Bowl, Alabama, Ohio State, Texas, USC, Georgia, Notre Dame, Brian Kelly, Florida State, Louisville, Urban Meyer, Big 10, and Big 12. Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 75: Behind Steele Bars
It’s a great week of college football and it somehow landed on the last week for May. Yup, it helps when some num-nut from the Big 10 runs his mouth. This time (again) it’s Gordon Gee, president of Ohio State, who comes in lips a blazin’. I’ll talk about that as well as the Big 12, Texas, DeLoss Dodds, West Virginia, TCU, SEC, Notre Dame, Penn State, Paterno Family, and College Football Playoffs. Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 71: Gordon Gee Willickers
I’m getting ready for Memorial Day by having a practice run today. It’s Sunday and I’m doing a tasty little Purple Yeti Roar. This week I’ll talk about Michigan, Notre Dame, Big 10, Brady Hoke, Hawaii, SEC, CBS, ESPN, TCU, Big 12, Devonte Fields, Oklahoma State, Wes Lunt, and Mike Gundy. Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 69: Pool Day Redbird Style
Hey I’m back from a wonderful weekend of getting locked down by the chains of matrimony. Feels pretty good. What else feels good? College football and to some extent college football news. News like Jon Bon Jovi, Notre Dame, College Football Playoff, Big 10, SEC, Jim Delany, Big 12, Hulk Hogan, South Florida, Willie Taggart, Arthur Brown, Kansas State, Houston Texans, and Collin Klein. Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 66: The Yeti Is Chained Down
Last week of bachelorhood for the Purple Yeti so it’s time for a stiff drink. There’s also some stiff news for college football. Grab a chaser and help wash down college football news about the ACC, Big 12, SEC, Big 10, NBC, Notre Dame, UCF, NCAA, and Louisiana Lafayette Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar: Mas Tequila!
What side of the Spring Game type do you fall on? Watch as I answer that question myself and perhaps answer just what the heck I mean by ‘sides’. Yup, it’s another week of college football and well the most action we’ll see until maybe July. Cherish it! Also, cherish other news items from Kansas, Nick Sizemore, Iowa State, Jadeveon Clowney, North Carolina, Oregon State, Alabama, Auburn, Toomer’s Corner, California, Oklahoma, Bob Stoops, Disney, ESPN, Big 10, and the SEC. Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 64: Spring Game Promotions
I took a turkey day break but now I am back. I’m done licking my wounds over the Kansas State loss to Baylor and now it’s time to look forward to this weekend of football. So come with me as I talk about Texas, TCU, Alabama, Georgia, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, Notre Dame, Stanford, Oregon, Louisville, Rutgers, Collin Klein, Texas A&M, Johnny Manziel, Arkansas, Gene Chizik, Colorado, John Embree, John L. Smith, Arkansas, USC, and BCS National Championship. Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 44: Back For More
It’s Sunflower Showdown weekend! While it’s nice that Charlie Weiss is trying to get his Kansas kids up for the game and refocus rivalry juice toward Manhattan, Bill Snyder has been doing that exact thing for much of his tenure. But we can get into that later. There’s a wealth of great games this weekend both inside and outside the Big 12. We’ll know much more where teams will be seeded in the national championship race after this weekend. Time to Pick It and Stick It. Continue reading Pick It And Stick It: Finding Some Seeds
It’s a little late but why the hell not. I’m going to dump out another Pick It and Stick It. It’s a bye week for Kansas State and this week’s games are hardly that interesting. But I poked and prodded around and found a couple of good reasons to flap my gums about the weekend’s games. Much to no one’s surprise, the games I’m into this weekend are from the Big 12. Continue reading Pick It and Stick It: Bye Bye Love
So it was another great week of football and it started in Norman. Kansas State upset Oklahoma. I’ll talk about that and the other games of the weekend as well as look forward to some quasi exciting action for week 5.
Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 36: Jars And Short Yards
Yeah I missed about half the games but that’s alright. My team won and a buncha others did so that’s all good. Let’s recap the weekend and talk about Kansas State, North Texas, Oklahoma State, West Virginia, Alabama, Arkansas, LSU, Ohio State, Michigan, BIg 10, SEC, TCU, Kansas, Dayne Crist, Brandon Carter, Arthur Brown, Notre Dame, Texas, David Ash, Big 12, and concerts! Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 35: What A Weak Week 03
Hey it’s another week of college football and it’s that time of the week for me to stick my finger where my mouth is and preview the weekend’s onslaught of college football rebellion. For me this week, it’s all about trap games. I’m looking at it from the guise of my Purple Yeti colored pride (Kansas State for the uninitiated) and there’s a chance a trap could be sprung. The rest of the weekend is somewhat ho-hum with a couple of primo matchups and that’s about it. We also get what I believe is the opening of conference play between Kansas and TCU. Let’s kick on the hyperdrive.
So I mentioned that Kansas State may be rolling into a trap game. First off, what’s a trap game? Usually it’s with an opponent that you are supposed to beat but certain circumstances make it ripe for an upset. Kansas State’s trap scenario is two-fold. First off, Kansas State plays North Texas whose head coach is Dan McCartney. Yup the same McCartney that was Iowa State’s head coach and actually beat the Snyder led Cats twice in his run. Second, the following week’s game for Kansas State is in Norman against Oklahoma. Could there be a situation where Kansas State overlooks North Texas while getting ready for Oklahoma?
The short answer is yes. Kansas State already had their trap type scenario play out in the first week of the season (and you could really look at last year too) with a way too close game against an FCS opponent. I think Bill Snyder likes to run these games as a sort of pre-season type match up. You get vanilla things that help get some real game time experience for some young players. You’ll more than likely see this again against North Texas, but it should be enough to top North Texas. McCartney does not have the kind of talent he had at Iowa State. Bill Snyder (who was an assistant at North Texas for a short time) already has his whole team bought into his system and his system demands discipline at a cosmic rate. Kansas State should win this one pretty easily but I would not be surprised if it will be close for most of the game.
The game starts late and I will miss because of a Passion Pit show (hopefully the football gods will forgive me), but I will be able to watch a couple of games before hand. The most interesting one for me, will be the opening Big 12 game of the year and the opening Big 12 game for TCU when TCU heads to Lawrence. Pretty much everyone is giving TCU the game this week. I’m going to do that too. There’s alot of things I’m looking for, however. How will Kansas State alum and TCU head coach Gary Patterson handle the first game for TCU? Will Casey Pachall keep his astronomic QB passer rating up? Will Charlie Weiss have his kids bounce back from an embarrassing loss last week? Will the Kansas players give up in the 2nd quarter? Will the stadium be empty at halftime? All interesting questions and I think we know the answer to all of them.
So the rest of the slate is pretty limp. I’ll miss out on the evening games because of concert, which is a shame because it’s got USC at Stanford as well as Notre Dame at Michigan State and Florida at Tennessee, the only Top 25 match ups of the week. So let’s pick it right now and hopefully I won’t have to stick it. I’m going with Stanford in the upset because of the media hype around USC as well as their poor performance in a win on the road to Syracuse. Pac 12 needs to come down a bit. Michigan State is the Big 10’s only hope and we’ll see them beat my 2nd favorite team in Notre Dame because the Fighting Irish will be too busy celebrating the ACC move and they struggled pretty hard against Purdue. Finally I have Tennessee over Florida because it’s time for that program to come back. All home picks, I know.
I can’t wait for this weekend of games. There’s a special treat coming up too. I’m going to try this new-fangled live blogging thing that just came out from WordPress. What will be in there? I have no clue. Probably pics and snarky remarks that will end up on the Twitter feed at @kccgd. But hey, it will be fun and you should join me. I’ll have one screen on TCU at Kansas and will channel surf the rest. Who knows? There may be some cartoons or infomercials popping up in the live blog. Tune in and find out!
Yup it’s time I wing them again. I don’t like making things ultra official and professional (note the website) and I will follow that same lack of format for another Pick It and Stick It Special. It’s Dart Board Predictions time! I don’t keep track so if you want to hit me up on the Twitterz (twitter.com/kccgd) or email ([email protected]) and let me know just how smart or dumb I am. So with that out of the way, let’s sharpen up the darts and start tossing. Get out of the way.
- I for some reason kept picking Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden to kick the bucket on the field. I was wrong on both shots (but there’s a chance with Bobby still). This year I will predict that NO ONE will die on the field. Practice field doesn’t count. I know about the sickle cell.
- After capping off the offseason with a newly announced college football playoffs, college presidents will realize the folly of their way and go back the BCS system. The robots will be replaced by committee members.
- Brent Musburger starts to fade as he delves into dementia not unlike Keith Jackson 10 years ago. The only difference, he will still shill and sound super excited.
- Hey I picked a Big 12 Champion, so who will that champion play? Pretty easy, it’s BCS bowl bound for Oklahoma against Virginia Tech because Frank Beamer.
- So that means that the Hokies will win the ACC again and I’m not sure anyone will really care.
- With the WAC shutting down, you’ll see other lower tier conferences going away. I’m looking at you Sun Belt.
- Charlie Weiss will get so frustrated at Kansas, that his front butt will lash out and strike a player. Unlike his almost twin in old head coach Mark Mangino, no one will seem to care about it. Poor blowhard Weiss.
- The Big East will be renamed to The Big after they finish this year announcing new members Hawaii and Japan.
- Texas A&M and Missouri do okay in the SEC this year. After they get done cleaning up the table when the big boys are done.
- Mike Leech trades his sword in for a bow and arrow and starts pegging apples at Washington State. This somehow inspires Wazzu to double their wins to 2.
- USC will walk into the Pac 12 as the favorite and will more than likely walk out the winner. Oregon lost so much except those tasty uniforms.
- But Matt Barkley will not win the Heisman Trophy. The consolation? The next contestant on The Bachelor.
- Who will win the Heisman? It’s a quarterback sport anymore so I think it will be someone from the that position. I see Geno Smith nailing with Collin Klein coming in second. Such a homer pick.
- Speaking of Kansas State, Bill Snyder will live through the year and see a bowl win finally. Maybe in the Beef O’Bradys Bowl.
- Craig James will spew out some nonsense and get accepted to the Green Party’s ticket for president alongside Rosanne Barr.
- I really do think this may be Michigan’s year for a Big 10 title. Unfortunately as soon as they step on that stage, they will instantly be overhyped and lose out in the Rose Bowl.
- About 100 more players will be suspended due to mysterious ‘team rules’ epidemic going around.
- I will not win Pick It and Stick It again this year. I’m hedging my bet right now and will be saying ‘Called It!’ in December.
- USC will face LSU and win in the BCS National Championship Game. Only because USC did me so well in EA Sports NCAA College Football and LSU just doesn’t have it, much to the chagrin of everything SEC.
- Finally, super predictor Phil Steele will rip off most of my predictions from this column and discredit everything else he did in 2012.
There’s not much else going on this week except the Freeh report and Penn State. So I yammer on about that as well as some other scandalous item like, Joe Paterno, Big 10, Pac 12, Kansas State, Manase Foketi, Notre Dame, BYU, Utah, the Holy War, EA Sports NCAA College Football 2012, and the BCS. Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 26: Bold Scandals!
So this week I’m excited to present my takes on college football with a tasty sun drenched backlight! Besides my production glee, I delve into Notre Dame’s batted eyes for another conference. Namely the Big 12. But if that gets too sappy, I’ll talk about UCLA, Kansas State, Texas, Texas Tech, Harvey Updyke, and College Football Playoffs Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 23: Reckless Irish Eyeballin’