This week I actually follow through on some Sunday fun day college football all day talk. And I get to go through a run sheet that is just so criminial. Speaking of criminal, the BCS bowl game predictions from Phil Steele should land him some time up the river. Hop on board while I go through that and Oregon, Chip Kelly, NCAA, Bo Pelini, Nebraska, Vanderbilt, Oklahoma, Chuka Ndulue, ESPN, BCS National Championship Game, Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, Orange Bowl, Alabama, Ohio State, Texas, USC, Georgia, Notre Dame, Brian Kelly, Florida State, Louisville, Urban Meyer, Big 10, and Big 12. Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 75: Behind Steele Bars
It’s a new year and a slate of college football games kick it off. I’m going to talk about the New Year’s Day bowls as well as review what has happened so far in Big 12 football. So look for that as well as Baylor, UCLA, Holiday Bowl, Texas Tech, Minnesota, Meineke Car Care Bowl of Texas, Michigan State, TCU, Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl, Texas, Oregon State, Alamo Bowl, Georgia Tech, USC, Tulsa, Iowa State, Liberty Bowl, Clemson, LSU, Chick-fil-A Bowl, Mississippi State, Northwestern, Purdue, Oklahoma State, Heart of Dallas Bowl, Georgia, Nebraska, Capital One Bowl, South Carolina, Michigan, Outback Bowl, Rose Bowl, Wisconsin, Stanford, Northern Illinois, Florida, Orange Bowl, Louisville, Florida State, Sugar Bowl, Oregon, Kansas State, Pac 12, Big 12, Fiesta Bowl, Wrestling, Pittsburgh, Ole Miss, Compass Bowl, Kent State, Arkansas State, Godaddy.com Bowl, and New Year’s Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 49: Bowl Mania
Hey I’m back for some BCS Fiesta fun! Kansas State put the beat down on Texas and now they punched their ticket to the Fiesta Bowl to take on Oregon. I got over that as well as Notre Dame, Alabama, BCS Championship Game, Louisville, Florida, Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl, Northern Illinois, Florida State, Cotton Bowl, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Rose Bowl, Wisconsin, Stanford, Heart of Dallas Bowl, Purdue, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Tulsa, Liberty Bowl, Oregon State, Alamo Bowl, Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl, Michigan State, TCU, West Virginia, Syracuse, Pinstripe Bowl, Minnesota, Texas Tech, Car Care Bowl of Texas, Holiday Bowl, Baylor, UCLA, SEC, Big 12, and ESPN Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 45: One True Champion
Yup it’s time I wing them again. I don’t like making things ultra official and professional (note the website) and I will follow that same lack of format for another Pick It and Stick It Special. It’s Dart Board Predictions time! I don’t keep track so if you want to hit me up on the Twitterz (twitter.com/kccgd) or email ([email protected]) and let me know just how smart or dumb I am. So with that out of the way, let’s sharpen up the darts and start tossing. Get out of the way.
- I for some reason kept picking Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden to kick the bucket on the field. I was wrong on both shots (but there’s a chance with Bobby still). This year I will predict that NO ONE will die on the field. Practice field doesn’t count. I know about the sickle cell.
- After capping off the offseason with a newly announced college football playoffs, college presidents will realize the folly of their way and go back the BCS system. The robots will be replaced by committee members.
- Brent Musburger starts to fade as he delves into dementia not unlike Keith Jackson 10 years ago. The only difference, he will still shill and sound super excited.
- Hey I picked a Big 12 Champion, so who will that champion play? Pretty easy, it’s BCS bowl bound for Oklahoma against Virginia Tech because Frank Beamer.
- So that means that the Hokies will win the ACC again and I’m not sure anyone will really care.
- With the WAC shutting down, you’ll see other lower tier conferences going away. I’m looking at you Sun Belt.
- Charlie Weiss will get so frustrated at Kansas, that his front butt will lash out and strike a player. Unlike his almost twin in old head coach Mark Mangino, no one will seem to care about it. Poor blowhard Weiss.
- The Big East will be renamed to The Big after they finish this year announcing new members Hawaii and Japan.
- Texas A&M and Missouri do okay in the SEC this year. After they get done cleaning up the table when the big boys are done.
- Mike Leech trades his sword in for a bow and arrow and starts pegging apples at Washington State. This somehow inspires Wazzu to double their wins to 2.
- USC will walk into the Pac 12 as the favorite and will more than likely walk out the winner. Oregon lost so much except those tasty uniforms.
- But Matt Barkley will not win the Heisman Trophy. The consolation? The next contestant on The Bachelor.
- Who will win the Heisman? It’s a quarterback sport anymore so I think it will be someone from the that position. I see Geno Smith nailing with Collin Klein coming in second. Such a homer pick.
- Speaking of Kansas State, Bill Snyder will live through the year and see a bowl win finally. Maybe in the Beef O’Bradys Bowl.
- Craig James will spew out some nonsense and get accepted to the Green Party’s ticket for president alongside Rosanne Barr.
- I really do think this may be Michigan’s year for a Big 10 title. Unfortunately as soon as they step on that stage, they will instantly be overhyped and lose out in the Rose Bowl.
- About 100 more players will be suspended due to mysterious ‘team rules’ epidemic going around.
- I will not win Pick It and Stick It again this year. I’m hedging my bet right now and will be saying ‘Called It!’ in December.
- USC will face LSU and win in the BCS National Championship Game. Only because USC did me so well in EA Sports NCAA College Football and LSU just doesn’t have it, much to the chagrin of everything SEC.
- Finally, super predictor Phil Steele will rip off most of my predictions from this column and discredit everything else he did in 2012.
Wow, what a year it has been for college football. Okay, it’s kind of cliché but what I thought would be a rather quiet off-season after a bogus BCS National Championship game, turned into a major circus yet once again. Yes, there were ups and downs but mostly downs. I think this off-season fully solidified the fact that college football is all about the money. I’m going to do my best to hold on to the tradition as tight as I can before it all goes away. Seriously, I’m not trying to bum you out. We did get some great news too. Continue reading College Football Lost It’s Gloss But Not It’s Heart
Man I don’t even remember what I was talking about. The drugs kind of knocked me out. Oh wait, I think it was something about the NFL Draft, Kansas State, the BCS, The Rose Bowl, the Liberty Bowl, and Bo Pelini. Something else is in there but I dig through the discarded facial tissues to get it. Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 15: Cold Drafts Help Make Me Sick
I barely made it through this week’s roar. It’s turned into a meow. I’m fighting a cold and will now go back to my lair and recover. In the meantime check out my takes on the Mountain West merging with Conference USA, North Dakota State’s fightin’ name issue, and some playoff/expansion menagerie. Oh it’s quite the trist. It’s okay to watch, I washed my hands. Just be sure to get plenty of fluids and rest.
Yup, we have a handful of games to go for this bowl season. It’s been a pretty great run so far. The weekend saw some great finishes and exciting shootouts. I’m going to miss college football much like everyone else out there after the last whistle blows. Until that whistle tweets its last tweet, we got a few more Crib Sheets to pass around as well. The news wasn’t too quiet as we get to see more coaching changes and draft declarations now. So let’s get right down to it:
Yes, it’s bowl season and I’ve got a hankering for one more Bowl Pick It and Stick It. This time bowling is more exciting for me outside of the BCS Bowls. Part of it is the fact that Kansas State got jipped out of an appearance at the Sugar Bowl, but the other part is that the line up BCS wise is just not interesting enough. The Sugar and the Orange are lame. The BCS National Championship Game is a rematch of boredom. The Fiesta and Rose look good but the overall product leaves me underwhelmed. That’s what I’m stoked for the Cotton Bowl. It’s non BCS and has a top 10 BCS match up with Kansas State taking on Arkansas. SEC vs Big 12. Hell yeah. Click on through for the Bowl Pick It and Stick It information.
Pick It and Stick It Link: http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/bowl/group/2195/invitation?key=8648873bde407264
So here’s the rest of the bowl line up:
|Gildan New Mexico
Temple vs. Wyoming
|Famous Idaho Potato Bowl
Ohio vs. Utah State
|R+L Carriers New Orleans
San Diego State vs. Louisiana-Lafayette
|Beef ‘O’ Brady’s St. Petersburg
Florida International vs. Marshall
|St. Petersburg, Fla.
|S.D. County Credit Union Poinsettia
TCU vs. Louisiana Tech
|MAACO Las Vegas
Arizona State vs. Boise State
Sam Boyd Stadium
Nevada vs. Southern Miss
|AdvoCare V100 Independence
Missouri vs. North Carolina
Western Michigan vs. Purdue
Louisville vs. NC State
Bank of America Stadium
|Military Bowl Presented By Northrop Grumman
Toledo vs. Air Force
|Bridgepoint Education Holiday
California vs. Texas
Florida State vs. Notre Dame
Florida Citrus Bowl
Washington vs. Baylor
|Bell Helicopter Armed Forces
BYU vs. Tulsa
Gerald J. Ford Stadium
|New Era Pinstripe
Rutgers vs. Iowa State
|Franklin American Mortgage Music City
Mississippi State vs. Wake Forest
Iowa vs. Oklahoma
Sun Devil Stadium
|Meineke Car Care of Texas
Texas A&M vs. Northwestern
Georgia Tech vs. Utah
|El Paso, Texas
Cincinnati vs. Vanderbilt
|Kraft Fight Hunger
Illinois vs. UCLA
Virginia vs. Auburn
Houston vs. Penn State
Michigan State vs. Georgia
Raymond James Stadium
Nebraska vs. South Carolina
Florida Citrus Bowl
|Taxslayer.com Gator Bowl
Ohio State vs. Florida
|Rose Bowl Game presented by Vizio
Wisconsin vs. Oregon
Stanford vs. Oklahoma State
U. of Phoenix Stadium
Michigan vs. Virginia Tech
West Virginia vs. Clemson
Sun Life Stadium
Kansas State vs. Arkansas
|BBVA Compass Bowl
SMU vs. Pittsburgh
Arkansas State vs. Northern Illinois
|Allstate BCS National Championship Game
No. 1 LSU vs. No. 2 Alabama
Remember it’s a straight up pick but you can rank your confidence from 1 to 35. What other bowls are interesting you ask? Well, let’s start with the Big 12. Baylor and Washington look good for the Alamo Bowl, thanks to Robert Griffin III’s Hesiman win. Oklahoma playing Iowa for the first time in forever in the Insight Bowl sees Sooner head coach Bob Stoops head to his alma mater. What other games look good? How about the Outback Bowl with Georgia taking on Michigan State, another version of the BCS snub bowl. That’s about it for me. The others are decent but they just don’t jump out to me. Come back every Monday from here on out, though and we’ll go over the picks.
Mascot Monday is back and we are still counting down mascots we’ve yet to cover that are in Phil Steele’s Top 50 preseason poll for 2011. We’re in the middle of media days for the college football and the pro guys finally set down their swords and are getting ready for another season as well. This week I will skip over that hype and go straight to #39 and Illinois’ Chief Illiniwek. I believe that this is the first time I will cover a mascot that is actually no longer spreading cheer on the sidelines. Lot’s of controversy behind this one folks, let’s find out what happened
I’m kind of surprised I haven’t done a Pac 12 powerhouse like California yet, but hey here we go. This week I’m counting down Phil Steele’s Pre-Season Top 50 for 2001 and it’s number 48, the California Golden Bears. For some reason I’ve been avoiding Oski because he shows up in the weird mascot lists and he doesn’t look that weird to me. At any rate, I have him in my sights and will learn many things, including how a mascot chugs a beer. Oh boy, I’m already regretting that I waited this long.
This week’s Mascot Monday sees us going Hollywood! You know, in all of the years I’ve done this little mascot post, I’ve never hit the big time cities and the college mascots that dwell within them. Welp, I’m starting something new by focusing on the University of California Los Angeles’ Joe and Josephine Bruin. Okay so he’s not explicitly Hollywood, but he does have a weirdo kind of relationship with his female counterpart Josephene. We’ll learn about that among some other tasty historical items for this week’s trip down mascot lane. Get your cheap sunglasses ready and try to avoid TMZ. Here we go.
Back again and were in love. The Crib Sheet today reminds us that every single thing, including the offseason lull, makes up the whole of our love for college football. Now, I’m not going to get all smushy and corny, but I will say that if college football was a person, I would hand it a candied heart that says, “Don’t Stop.” Now on to the Crib Sheet:
- Surprise, surprise! Tate Forcier spurned Kansas State and signed with Miami of Florida. Dang I hate being right all the time.
- So a thrid party approached Wisconsin and TCU about a week and half after the Rose Bowl to see if they were interested in an opening day rematch next year. Wisconsin was all about it and TCU had better things to do. My guess that someone from the Big 10 couldn’t stand a mid-con whupping up on a stalwart in the hallowed gardens of the rose. This bit of news just made my day.
- An agent summit will happen at USC, of all places. Everybody from the college to the NFL to the agent ranks will be on hand for talks about how to hide more money from kids in college. Sheesh, this is the epitome of hyperbole. Heck even states are looking to cash in on this mouthfest.
- So instead of using students to make sure Kansas players go to class, the school is using really old people. It’s like the movie Red without the bullets and missles. I guess it’s a dream job for that retiree who wants to relive the glory days of Kansas and it’s great basketball team and weak football team.
- Congrats to former Kansas State alum Jordy Nelson on his Green Bay Packers Super Bowl win. The game was pretty entertaining as I watched with friends. Maybe Jordy took a chunk out of Cowboys Stadium like I did for Chowboys Stadium? INSERT PHOTO
- It looks like college football will once again try to emulate the NFL by adopting some of their rules again. The biggest one seems to be the 10 second run off rule. Let’s just hope that college football doesn’t adopt the ridiculous overtime rules the NFL had for the playoffs. INSERT LINK
- The crybaby donor for Uconn, Robert Burton, agreed to leave the $3 million in donations after meeting with officials. They must’ve given him a pacifier to match his bonnet.
- Ruh-roh. The Fiesta Bowl hired a lawyer that specializes in the federal crime defense. I wonder what’s going on here? Maybe that Playoff Action Committee is pushing the right buttons? Or is the fact that chairman John Junker being placed on administrative leave have something to do with it? It looks like he dumped some money on politicians. I’m not sure this will damage the BCS but this will get interesting.
- Jerry Gray took a the job as the NFL’s Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator, just weeks after taking a defensive backs position with the Texas Longhorns. That has to be the quickest turnaround in Austin. That’s okay, however, as Duane Akina came back to the defensive backs position he left for to work in Arizona. Coaching carousels are fun!
- Joe Montana’s son, Nate, left Notre Dame and will transfer to Montana University. I wonder if there’s a special deal where the school will change its mascot to Joe Cool or something like that. We wish Nate well.
- Oklahoma State head coach Mike Gundy has a bromance with Justin Bieber of all people. It seems Bieber has Gundy’s “I’m a Man! I’m 40!” rant as a ringtone and Gundy has a Bieber song on his. Oh that’s so cute.
The bowl season ended Monday and there was a ton of news that happened over the last week. It’s mostly who’s coming and who’s going. It’s what I like to call the Carousel Hell. So put your seatbelt on get ready to go round and round, here’s this week’s Crib Sheet:
- Mike Leach’s legal battle with Texas Tech may have cost him the Maryland job. He said that he thought he was the frontrunner, but the Terps went with UConn coach Mike Edsall. He hasn’t been contacted by other schools at the moment.
- RichRod is officially out of Michigan now. Blow up the program part two. It makes me warm inside to think the same thing that happened to Nebraska a couple of years ago with Bill Callahan is now happening with another team I dislike immensely. Good days.
- It’s even better for Brady Hoke. The former Michigan alum and former San Diego State head coach is now your new Michigan head coach. They wanted a Michigan man and they got one. I give it about another 3 years before a turnaround happens.
- After showing up Michigan’s Denard Robinson and holding the team to 14 points, Manny Diaz will take his talents to Texas as defensive coordinator. He leaves Mississippi State and will be belting buckles in Austin. Let’s hope he didn’t fall for that ‘coach in waiting’ stuff.
- No surprises here. Fox has the rights to the Pac 12 Championship Game. They already show conference games on Fox Sports Net so it makes sense they do the title game.
- The Playoff PAC is looking to stir up some smoke on the BCS. They are filing a complaint with the IRS regarding a cruise the Orange Bowl put on for college athletic directors over the summer. Shady or not, this seems like arrows instead of missiles for the Playoff PAC people. If there’s going to be a change, they can’t dink and dunk it.
- Stanford’s Andrew Luck is staying behind for another year of college. This will make Blaine Gabbertt a sexier pick for the NFL Draft coming up in a couple of months. He’ll have to battle for the top quarterback spot with Arkansas’ Ryan Mallet, though. Gabbert may see his Aldon Smith in the NFL as well.
- So TCU won the Rose Bowl. Someone then paid for a billboard congratulating the team. Except it was in Columbus, Ohio. Yeah someone with big pockets wanted to rub it in the Ohio State President E. Gordon Gee’s face. He was running his mouth earlier about the mid-con teams not being worthy and now I guess he gets to eat crow.
- Speaking of the Horned Frogs, head coach Gary Patterson notched himself a 2 year extension with the program. You go undefeated in two regular seasons, you deserve that and a ham sandwich.
- Stud Oklahoma receiver Ryan Broyles will be coming back for another year.
- A Boise State assitant coach is going to big time. By big time I mean Texas Offensive Coordinator. It seems Mack Brown and company lured Bryan Harsin away from the Broncos to infuse the team with a flashier offense.
- Texas Tech told the NCAA that they texted too much. That’s alliteration. And that’s the news!
- Head BCS Honcho Bill Hancock reminded everyone that a playoff is way below in priority for the college bowl partners. He said that even the old way of bowls would be considered first. Seriously, he does a great job of stirring the pot.
- Kansas State athletic director John Currie also gets a two year extension to his contract chock full of some tasty incentives. He’s done an alright job. The goal now is to maintain it.
- The BCS Championship Game happened Monday and it garnished the best cable ratings ever. Yet, the actual viewership is down. This is what happens when the biggest game of the year ends up on cable. Seriously, why didn’t Disney toss the game on ABC instead of ESPN? Television is becoming more live sport driven than anything else. Still, until I can replicate the experience of a sports bar in my basement, I will be going out for the games.
- LSU’s Les Miles went to Michigan to talk about an open job but decided to stay with the Tigers. Listen up childrens, this is the classic strategy head coaches employ to get them off the hot seat or get a raise.
- Man we feel for UGA VIII, the mascot of the Georgia Bulldogs. He didn’t make the trip to the bowl game last week and now we know why. UGA VIII has lymphoma. Jinkies, is the team as cursed as this dog is?
- Former South Florida football coach Jim Leavitt settled out of court for some extra cash from the school. He was canned for reportedly striking a walk on student. He’s a defensive guy and because of that, the rumors are now flying about Leavitt coming back to Kansas State to take a defensive coordinator position. Tune in next week, this is getting hotter.
Here we are in the middle of bowl season. I got some good gear for Xmas and I hope you got some too. The bowl action was light in the last week, but we are now ramping up into the meat of the schedule. Most of the Big 12 schools will be playing this week and there will be ample action in between. Meanwhile, I Bowl Pick It and Stick It standings are out are some peeps jumping out of the gate quick. Let’s look at that first: