I have to admit, I am getting excited about going to a BBQ this weekend. It’s fun running around the city and checking out new places, but the home cooked food and good times with peeps you know is always a welcomed change of pace. It will be a little awkward, however, as I’ll be sneaking my laptop on over to get ready for the big night games heading our way. I more than likely will not be watching two games at once, but I will be prepared just in case. For everyone else, prepare yourselves for the Pick It and Stick It.
Yeah the night games have high contrasts in terms of spreads. Kansas State and Oklahoma State have a huge 21 point difference while Alabama and LSU have only 4.5. Yeah I know Arkansas and South Carolina are close together too at 5.0. Out of those, I think LSU will make it a toss up. Sorry but Kansas State blew its wad already and it will be hard to watch via streaming laptop Saturday night. Meanwhile, earlier in the day, there is nothing exciting. Big 12 wise, Texas is up big on Texas Tech, but that will be closer. Iowa State should hang one on the pathetic Kansas Jayhawks. Oklahoma will run right over Texas A&M. That Baylor against Missouri will be a shoot out. Everything else is seriously blah.
It’s high time to duke it out on the field for dominance on the college football landscape. The unbeatens will dwindle down here real soon, if not this weekend, and it’s everyone team for themselves. Please remember, however, by fighting I mean actually playing tough football. I do not mean actually fighting the opposing players. It seems in the last couple of weeks some players have been confused and took to fisticuffs. Heck 41 players are suspended because of a big brawl that happened last weekend. Please, when you go out there fight well in terms of football, not Mortal Kombat. Now, it’s time to go over the Pick It and Stick It and look for some fatalities. Finish Him!
Continue reading Pick It and Stick It 2011 Week 08: Ready, Flick, Fight!
Conference play kind of opened up last weekend for the Big 12, but this weekend we have a couple of head to head match ups. I don’t know which game will be more exciting, the Texas vs Iowa State or Kansas State vs Baylor. The obvious is the Kansas State game but if you remember last year, Iowa State went down to Austin and beat the Longhorns. The local media around here is chirping about how it’s a revenge game but the player interviews talk about how they expect to handle Iowa State easily. We’ll find that out Saturday as well as just how real Kansas State’s defense really is. Here’s this week’s Pick It and Stick It: Continue reading Pick It and Stick It 2011 Week 05: Time To Play For Real
So the deed is finally done. Texas A&M and the SEC made it official. Now last week, we found out that the Big 12 was staying together. We also found out that Dan Beebe resigned, at the request of Oklahoma and some others. Connected sports guy Chuck Neinas was setup as the interim Big 12 Commissioner. What else? The 1st and 2nd tier television rights are on the table. That’s fine for Texas because the LHN is 3rd tier, noinch! The athletic directors all met and were saying they are committed to keeping the Big 12 alive. Although, it seems Missouri’s foot is still out of the door. Worse yet, the reason Oklahoma wanted the Big 12 to stay alive was because they couldn’t swing a deal with the Pac 12. So is it safe? I guess it is for now. I’ll be certain of it when somebody actually joins the conference instead of leaves it. Until then, here’s another installment of the Crib Sheet: Continue reading Crib Sheet: Check Yourself Before You Wreck Yourself
That’s right, I’ll be on a plane shortly but I want to get the picks up for the week. It’s hard to stay focused with the Big 12 in legal gridlock. You know, I thought professional wrestling was soap opera for guys but now I know that college football realignment is the real deal. No offense to the WWE, but this stuff is way better than the scripted stuff I used to watch. So as the conference turn, get your picks in and hope for the best.
Continue reading PIck It and Stick It: Fling It Home
Here we go with another year of Pick It and Stick It! This time I decided to go easy on people and not do confidence points throughout the year. It was just too much beef to handle week in and week out. So I cut that fat off and leaned it down to a tasty point spread straight up pick league. You can drop two weeks so if want to join up please do so at:
If you got any questions, please feel free to hit me up. Now let’s take a look at the first week’s pics:
Alrighty, football is here and you know what that means: Barspotting! For those of you not familiar with how Barspotting works, I basically tool around town and find places to watch college football then rate whether it’s worth it to check it out yourself. This year will be different because I’m in a whole new town. So I get to find a whole bunch of new bars review and also get the added benefit of finding my way around town. The first ever Austin edition of Barspotting will feature Doc’s Backyard in Sunset Valley, well, because they are real close to me. Not only that but they have a supposedly real tasty Chicken Fried Avacado. Let’s check out Saturday’s lineup. Continue reading Barspotting: Kicking Off A New Town of Barspotting at Doc’s Backyard
Here we are in the middle of bowl season. I got some good gear for Xmas and I hope you got some too. The bowl action was light in the last week, but we are now ramping up into the meat of the schedule. Most of the Big 12 schools will be playing this week and there will be ample action in between. Meanwhile, I Bowl Pick It and Stick It standings are out are some peeps jumping out of the gate quick. Let’s look at that first:
Continue reading Bowl Pick It and Stick It: The Bowl Nine Yards
The beating heat of the summer is getting to us. We’re producing an inordinate amount of swass underneath while compiling this week’s very beefy Crib Sheet. We’re going for some lemonade and to air our sweat regions. Here’s the Crib Sheet:
- It’s official, via text message, that Bryce Brown will not be coming back to Tennessee. Will he land at Kansas State? The way Daniel Thomas is looking might draw the Wichita, Kansas native back home to the Wildcats. Tennessee will not release him from his scholarship so that will slow him down.
- Big 12 Media Days for Kansas was all about Turner Gill. He landed a great hire at offensive coordinator and Chuck Long. It’s a rebuilding year and they are trying to stay focused on the field and not with all the crap that happened off of it.
- Colorado’s Big 12 media day was not as exciting as leat year’s. Oh, they’re stoked this year but we got the sense that they are distracted about moving to the Pac 10. One thing is for sure, if Cody Hawkins starts for the Buffaloes, they will lose every time.
- Oklahoma, on the other hand, spent the day talking about the huge expectations they have. Yes, they had a ton of injuries last year. That means that the younger kids have more experience and more time with each other. They should be tough, but we’re not sold yet on national title tough.
- Texas A&M’s media day was unheard of. You’d think the cash they got in the expansion deal means that they command more respect at the podium but apparently not.
- BCS director Bill Hancock had alot to say in the last week. First off the Big 12 change won’t affect the BCS. A playoff would kill the regular season. Any playoff would have to start at 16 teams. And if the appeal from USC over recruiting violations fell through, the title they won would be left vacant. Man, that’s alot from a guy who’s been nonexistent ever since he took over.
- Texas Big 12 media days was alot like just hanging out. Coach Mack Brown handled the alignment talk well and also took care of the Nebraska contigent in a subdued kind of way.
- The assistant coach who took a punch from head coach Mike Locksley sued both him and New Mexico for the fight. We’re thinking he lost the actual fight and is now taking it to the courts.
- So assistant coach Mark Nelson of East Carolina resigned because of NCAA allegations that he evaluated players in off-season workout and conditioning drills. Huh? Coaches evaluate all the time. That’s what they do. The NCAA is beginning to be irrelevant and completely out of touch.
- Oklahoma running back Mossis Madu got a DUI. He’ll probably be benched for the half of the first game.
- ESPN is going 3d! They will broadcast a couple of college football games in the new tech as well. Check out the list here.
- IMG bought ISP Sports and now is the mega daddy of all agencies that license pro and college sports media to outlets. These guys will have some major pull when it comes to bringing in more bucks from the supposed holy grail of television deals for college athletics.
- Junior defensive lineman Jamie Blatnick of Oklahoma State was arrested last Saturday after getting in a fight with a former Cowboys offensive lineman Stephen Denning. Looks like the defensive guy couldn’t take the lip from the offensive guy.
- Former Oregon quarterback Jeremiah Masoli is walking on to Ole Miss in the hopes of still playing football. He was booted off the Ducks for burglary and weed smoking. We all believe in second chances right? This second chance will have a short leash.
- The Big 10 media days are a happening as we speak and commissioner Jim Delany is looking for a title game next year. Meanwhile Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne is yapping his lip about the stability of the Big 10 being the major factor for the move.
- Iowa State defender David Simms plead guilty to credit card fraud that he originally denied. It looks like his career might be over up there.
- Bill Snyder 2.0 goes old school with his scheduling philosophy for the Kansas State Wildcats. They had Oregon on the schedule, but now they are off. The excuse was the new 9 team schedule for the conference coming up. It was also mutual. So will Miami be next off the list?
Another week of the Crib Sheet and we are finally starting to see things calm down around the college football landscape. There’s still some action here and there but we envision the news will be trickling out here in there for the offseason. There’s still some loose ends that need to be tied up and we will stay there to make sure the granny knot is tight. So keep in step with this week’s Crib Sheet:
Welcome to the final Pick It and Stick It standings for the year of 2009. It’s been a wild year and we learned a couple of things from it. Forgetting a week is killer and next year, we’ll set it up so we can knock off the lowest scoring week. This will help out and maybe even save some things from the holidays or championship week. We also learned a little bit on how to play against the spread. Our recommendation to whoever wins the league (we’ll find out after the break) is to take that winning style to a bookie and spread out some small cash around next year. That is, if you are the gambling type. Speaking of which, we’ll also go over the prize and how we are going to deliver it (or not).
Continue reading Pick It Standings: Final 2009
Some weeks, you don’t know what you’re going to run into when you pick a place you’ve never been to before. So when we strolled up to Birdie’s Pub and Grill, we weren’t expecting much. They didn’t have a website and the only information we got about the place was on Google Maps. Walking in, however, things turned completely different. Yes, it was bigger, but for some aspects it wasn’t necessarily better. The goal of the week was to watch some Nebraska vs Virginia Tech and head to a BBQ. We accomplished the mission. Here’s the report.
Continue reading It’s not Atlanta, but We’re Doing the Dirty Birdie’s
Thanks to my wonderful girlfriend and her obscure calendar knowledge, I found out that today happens to be Talk Like A Pirate Day! Yeargh! Believe it or not there aren’t that many big time colleges that use a pirate moniker, matey. There is of course the Cinderella darlings of last year in the East Carolina Pirates. But after a quick search, I could only find Seton Hall as the only other Pirate team. As for Buccaneers, it looks like they walked the plank. So here’s my apology to East Carolina Pirate fans for not including them on the list of games this week. Ye take care of the North Carolina Tarheels today, YEARGHHH!
This is a little embarrassing. We’re getting all hyped up for another great year of college football and stumbled a bit in our preparation. You see, we naturally assumed that in the last two years of this fine and dandy operation that we actually had a barspot at a Tanner’s Bar & Grill location. This is not true. So to make up for it, we are kicking off our 3rd season by hanging out in one of the storied sports bar traditions for the Kansas City Area. Join us at the Waldo district to kick the season off in style and welcome to another year of KC College Gameday!
Continue reading Barspotting: We Almost Forgot About Tanner’s