Hey I’m back for some BCS Fiesta fun! Kansas State put the beat down on Texas and now they punched their ticket to the Fiesta Bowl to take on Oregon. I got over that as well as Notre Dame, Alabama, BCS Championship Game, Louisville, Florida, Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl, Northern Illinois, Florida State, Cotton Bowl, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Rose Bowl, Wisconsin, Stanford, Heart of Dallas Bowl, Purdue, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Tulsa, Liberty Bowl, Oregon State, Alamo Bowl, Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl, Michigan State, TCU, West Virginia, Syracuse, Pinstripe Bowl, Minnesota, Texas Tech, Car Care Bowl of Texas, Holiday Bowl, Baylor, UCLA, SEC, Big 12, and ESPN Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 45: One True Champion
It’s weird getting ready to sit down and watch college football on January 2nd versus watching it on New Year’s Day. Usually, I would stumble over late to a friend’s house to kick off the new year by watching football, gloming myself with food, getting drunk, playing some board games, and being as lazy as humanly possible. This year, it’s watching everything online, eating some food, and not making a singular play on a game of boards. The good thing is that I can adjust. Unfortunately, the adjustments don’t look so hot for my Bowl Pick It and Stick It Standings. Let’s take a look:
And all through the house, we had present unwrapping hangovers with eggnog thirst doused. Oh wait, it’s not a poem I’m writing here, it’s the Bowl Pick It and Stick standings update! Christmas scored well with me and I hope the holiday was in your top 5. There was just a sprinkle of games in the last week, with the brunt of the bowls starting this afternoon with Missouri and North Carolina in the Independence Bowl. So, with confidence points teetering the scores wildly, how did everyone in the pick set do? Let’s find out.
Yes, it’s bowl season and I’ve got a hankering for one more Bowl Pick It and Stick It. This time bowling is more exciting for me outside of the BCS Bowls. Part of it is the fact that Kansas State got jipped out of an appearance at the Sugar Bowl, but the other part is that the line up BCS wise is just not interesting enough. The Sugar and the Orange are lame. The BCS National Championship Game is a rematch of boredom. The Fiesta and Rose look good but the overall product leaves me underwhelmed. That’s what I’m stoked for the Cotton Bowl. It’s non BCS and has a top 10 BCS match up with Kansas State taking on Arkansas. SEC vs Big 12. Hell yeah. Click on through for the Bowl Pick It and Stick It information.
Pick It and Stick It Link: http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/bowl/group/2195/invitation?key=8648873bde407264
So here’s the rest of the bowl line up:
|Gildan New Mexico
Temple vs. Wyoming
|Famous Idaho Potato Bowl
Ohio vs. Utah State
|R+L Carriers New Orleans
San Diego State vs. Louisiana-Lafayette
|Beef ‘O’ Brady’s St. Petersburg
Florida International vs. Marshall
|St. Petersburg, Fla.
|S.D. County Credit Union Poinsettia
TCU vs. Louisiana Tech
|MAACO Las Vegas
Arizona State vs. Boise State
Sam Boyd Stadium
Nevada vs. Southern Miss
|AdvoCare V100 Independence
Missouri vs. North Carolina
Western Michigan vs. Purdue
Louisville vs. NC State
Bank of America Stadium
|Military Bowl Presented By Northrop Grumman
Toledo vs. Air Force
|Bridgepoint Education Holiday
California vs. Texas
Florida State vs. Notre Dame
Florida Citrus Bowl
Washington vs. Baylor
|Bell Helicopter Armed Forces
BYU vs. Tulsa
Gerald J. Ford Stadium
|New Era Pinstripe
Rutgers vs. Iowa State
|Franklin American Mortgage Music City
Mississippi State vs. Wake Forest
Iowa vs. Oklahoma
Sun Devil Stadium
|Meineke Car Care of Texas
Texas A&M vs. Northwestern
Georgia Tech vs. Utah
|El Paso, Texas
Cincinnati vs. Vanderbilt
|Kraft Fight Hunger
Illinois vs. UCLA
Virginia vs. Auburn
Houston vs. Penn State
Michigan State vs. Georgia
Raymond James Stadium
Nebraska vs. South Carolina
Florida Citrus Bowl
|Taxslayer.com Gator Bowl
Ohio State vs. Florida
|Rose Bowl Game presented by Vizio
Wisconsin vs. Oregon
Stanford vs. Oklahoma State
U. of Phoenix Stadium
Michigan vs. Virginia Tech
West Virginia vs. Clemson
Sun Life Stadium
Kansas State vs. Arkansas
|BBVA Compass Bowl
SMU vs. Pittsburgh
Arkansas State vs. Northern Illinois
|Allstate BCS National Championship Game
No. 1 LSU vs. No. 2 Alabama
Remember it’s a straight up pick but you can rank your confidence from 1 to 35. What other bowls are interesting you ask? Well, let’s start with the Big 12. Baylor and Washington look good for the Alamo Bowl, thanks to Robert Griffin III’s Hesiman win. Oklahoma playing Iowa for the first time in forever in the Insight Bowl sees Sooner head coach Bob Stoops head to his alma mater. What other games look good? How about the Outback Bowl with Georgia taking on Michigan State, another version of the BCS snub bowl. That’s about it for me. The others are decent but they just don’t jump out to me. Come back every Monday from here on out, though and we’ll go over the picks.
The Bronx Salute. Everyone remembers it, or at lease they should. If you don’t, just think back to last year’s inaugural Pinstripe Bowl and Adrian Hilburn’s ‘salute’ to the fans after scoring a touchdown and moving the score to 36-24 and a 2 point conversion. He was penalized and the Wildcats had to go for 2 from the 18 yard line. They didn’t get it and lost the game. You could blame some poor play before, but I will point out that the NCAA changed rules in the off season due to this. So now it’s the 2011 season. I’m not asking if they will recover from that loss of the Pinstripe Bowl, but I will be asking about the loss of Daniel Thomas. And what I will see is Brown.
It’s the middle of the bowl season and we’ve had some great games so far. What’s cool about this time right now, is that coaches are making jumps left and right, either to the NFL or back down from the NFL. Players are also declaring their intentions for the big time as well. So while we try to keep up with who’s going where and who’s staying, we get some great bowl action left. Well, at least through Monday. Until then, here’s the Crib Sheet:
- So Kansas State got burned on an excessive celebration penalty in their loss in the Pinstripe Bowl to Syracuse. A simple salute to the fans cost the Wildcats 15 yards and a missed shot for a 2 point conversion to tie the game up. The officials had some lame-o explanation and because of that it may be reviewed next year. Overall the game was pretty sloppy for the Wildcats but you can’t end the game on a penalty.
- One of our favorite mascots, Georgia’s UGA (number VIII this time), missed the Liberty Bowl trip due to a sickness. Let’s wish him a good recovery. If you remember this UGA took over duties because to previous died at a very early age.
- Maryland met with our favorite coach, Mike Leach, but ended up choosing Connecticut’s Mike Edsall. The confirmation came soon after the Huskies’ loss to the Oklahoma Sooners in the Fiesta Bowl.
- Meanwhile, Kansas hired Illinois State’s AD Sheahon Zenger. It’s an upgrade for Zenger and we’ll see how he’ll weather the storm for the program in the next couple of years.
- Florida’s on a rampage. We know they got Will Muschamp from under Texas as their new head coach. Now they signed up Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Charlie Weiss. I figured Weiss was a short termer for the Chiefs but leaving so soon to go back to college is kind of a scratcher. Maybe he will have free reign?
- With all of these hirings, we need to also mention the hirings. Former new Pitt head coach Mike Haywood was let go from the team soon after his arrest for domestic battery. Ruh roh. You need to check yourself before you wreck yourself, Mike.
- The reports are that Rich Rodriguez is out at Michigan but the school has yet to announce anything.
- ESPN announcer Ron Franklin is out for calling a colleague “sweet baby” then an “a-hole” for objecting. I guess “sweet baby” is harassment these days. Hold your tongue around toddlers now.
- Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbertt has declared himself for the NFL Draft. It’s like Missouri may need to find another 5-star to fill his shoes. That’s gonna be tough, actually.
Here we are in the middle of bowl season. I got some good gear for Xmas and I hope you got some too. The bowl action was light in the last week, but we are now ramping up into the meat of the schedule. Most of the Big 12 schools will be playing this week and there will be ample action in between. Meanwhile, I Bowl Pick It and Stick It standings are out are some peeps jumping out of the gate quick. Let’s look at that first:
Yes, it’s the 2010 edition and first ever annual KC College GameDay Year End Reviewards! What’s a revieward? Welp, it’s a half assed attempt to round up the year in review and then dole out some nameless awards out to who or what I think mattered in the year of college football. It applies to the regular season only as I really don’t want to come back to this. At any rate, I’m shooting from the hip so all you midgets our there better watch your heads.