It’s been awhile but I’m finally back again. College football saw it’s first playoff last year and, although the Big 12 wasn’t represented, we were entertained. That’s all we can ask. I hear virtually no one ask on the interwebs where I’ve been, so I’ll answer that shortly. But first, here’s my dart board predictions for 2015. Continue reading Dart Board Predictions For 2015: Scarcity Brings Quality Shots
Whoah man I hope you got to see the kind of football I got to see yesterday. It was all over the place and it was all super exciting. Rivalry weekend lived up to its name and I recovered just enough to talk about it. Watch me talk about Thanksgiving, Texas, Texas Tech, Oregon, Oregon State, Florida, Florida State, The Game, Ohio State, Michigan, Brady Hoke, Duke, North Carolin, ACC, Notre Dame, Stanford, Tommy Reese, Missouri, Texas A&M, Big 12, Big 10, SEC, BCS National Championship Game, Big 12, Baylor, TCU, Iowa State, West Virginia, Kansas, Kansas State, Jon Hubert, and The Sunflower Showdown. Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 97: A Weekend That Rivals No Other
I don’t know how I managed to get that song stuck in my head, but gol durnit it had to have been something to do with the past weekend’s action of college football. Watch him and hum my way through topics like TCU, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas Tech, West Virginia, Iowa State, Baylor, BIg 12, SEC, ACC, Florida State, Clemson, Associated Press Top 25, Missouri, Florida, Georgia, Vanderbildt, Tennessee, South Carolina, LSU, Ole Miss, Auburn, Texas A&M, and the BCS Standings. Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 91: Back To Life, Back To Reality
Whoa man I am so glad Kansas State doesn’t play football this week. I’m recovering from Austin City Limits Music Festival last week and I’m just ready for some good football and nothing on the line for yours truly. Peering at the schedule it looks like it’s a great non committal weekend for me. Some tasty top 25 match ups and enough Big 12 action to fill up the whole day Saturday. Continue reading Pick It And Stick It: Pouncing On Picks Like A Tiger
Another week o’ the roar and I’ve landed on a huge takeaway from all of the media days last week: there is a bigger change coming than just the college football playoff next year. Hop on and watch me discuss that as well as NCAA, Big 12, Kansas State, Kansas, Charlie Weiss, Collin Klein, Jadeveon Clowney, Jay Z, SEC, ACC, Big 10, Pac 12, and Mark Emmert. Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 79: There’s A NCAA Sea Change Coming
It’s the middle of July and I’m sweltering hot. Even on a Sunday morning. It’s not stopping me from drinking some piping hot coffee and it’s not stopping me from applying facts to some tasty analysis. Watch in wonder as I dish out knowledge around: Jeopardy, Big 10, Big 12, Ohio State, Michigan, ACC, YES Network, Florida State, SEC, and Phil Steele. Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 77: Sweltering Facts
It’s a quick week for me and there’s just a trickle of college football news to go over. So grab your favorite vanilla flavored drink while I go on about the NCAA, ESPN, Disney, Notre Dame, SEC, Texas A&M, ACC, Big 12, Kansas State, TCU, Longhorn Network, and Penn State. Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 67: Feeling Vanilla
Last week of bachelorhood for the Purple Yeti so it’s time for a stiff drink. There’s also some stiff news for college football. Grab a chaser and help wash down college football news about the ACC, Big 12, SEC, Big 10, NBC, Notre Dame, UCF, NCAA, and Louisiana Lafayette Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar: Mas Tequila!
National Signing Day is over and I won’t discuss winners and losers. There’s way more smarter people than me that can tell you that. Stick around and watch me talk about things like Mack Brown, Texas, Kansas State, Jake Waters, Ole Miss, Hugh Freeze, Nkemdiche, Big East, Catholic 7, ESPN, Disney, NBC, Notre Dame, ACC, Penn State, Freeh Report, Oregon, Nike, and Phil Knight. Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 55: Signed, Sealed, and Reported
Sure, why not dump in a couple of buzzwords for the week? Yeah it’s a slow one. So kick back and relex while I run down topics like the Big East, Maryland, Big 12, Big Ten, SEC, ACC, Mountain West, Manti T’eo, Katie Couric, Dr. Phil, and President Obama. Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 53: Catfish Realignment
This weekend sees the culmination of what looks to be another Cinderella season for my obvious homer cheered Kansas State Wildcats. They head to Morgantown this weekend to take on the hobbling West Virginia Mountaineers. This is make it or break time for both programs and Saturday’s game will determine who will stay on the national stage and who will steep back down into the conference championship race. Oh there’s some other games going on this weekend, but this is the big one for me and for most of the nation (Big 12 nation, okay?). Continue reading Pick It And Stick It: It’s A Big One To Finger
Ho man, finally we get into the meat of college football. Last week, it was trap time. Now it’s the real deal. I can’t keep my homer-ism down. I’m full tilt on Kansas State vs Oklahoma this weekend. And what’s about to launch me out of my chair is that we are also treated to Notre Dame vs Michigan. It’s a shame they are on at the same time. Yup, it’s gonna to be a massive weekend and I’ll try to pick and stick my way through it. Continue reading Pick It And Stick It: Sensory Overload Weekend
Hey it’s another week of college football and it’s that time of the week for me to stick my finger where my mouth is and preview the weekend’s onslaught of college football rebellion. For me this week, it’s all about trap games. I’m looking at it from the guise of my Purple Yeti colored pride (Kansas State for the uninitiated) and there’s a chance a trap could be sprung. The rest of the weekend is somewhat ho-hum with a couple of primo matchups and that’s about it. We also get what I believe is the opening of conference play between Kansas and TCU. Let’s kick on the hyperdrive.
So I mentioned that Kansas State may be rolling into a trap game. First off, what’s a trap game? Usually it’s with an opponent that you are supposed to beat but certain circumstances make it ripe for an upset. Kansas State’s trap scenario is two-fold. First off, Kansas State plays North Texas whose head coach is Dan McCartney. Yup the same McCartney that was Iowa State’s head coach and actually beat the Snyder led Cats twice in his run. Second, the following week’s game for Kansas State is in Norman against Oklahoma. Could there be a situation where Kansas State overlooks North Texas while getting ready for Oklahoma?
The short answer is yes. Kansas State already had their trap type scenario play out in the first week of the season (and you could really look at last year too) with a way too close game against an FCS opponent. I think Bill Snyder likes to run these games as a sort of pre-season type match up. You get vanilla things that help get some real game time experience for some young players. You’ll more than likely see this again against North Texas, but it should be enough to top North Texas. McCartney does not have the kind of talent he had at Iowa State. Bill Snyder (who was an assistant at North Texas for a short time) already has his whole team bought into his system and his system demands discipline at a cosmic rate. Kansas State should win this one pretty easily but I would not be surprised if it will be close for most of the game.
The game starts late and I will miss because of a Passion Pit show (hopefully the football gods will forgive me), but I will be able to watch a couple of games before hand. The most interesting one for me, will be the opening Big 12 game of the year and the opening Big 12 game for TCU when TCU heads to Lawrence. Pretty much everyone is giving TCU the game this week. I’m going to do that too. There’s alot of things I’m looking for, however. How will Kansas State alum and TCU head coach Gary Patterson handle the first game for TCU? Will Casey Pachall keep his astronomic QB passer rating up? Will Charlie Weiss have his kids bounce back from an embarrassing loss last week? Will the Kansas players give up in the 2nd quarter? Will the stadium be empty at halftime? All interesting questions and I think we know the answer to all of them.
So the rest of the slate is pretty limp. I’ll miss out on the evening games because of concert, which is a shame because it’s got USC at Stanford as well as Notre Dame at Michigan State and Florida at Tennessee, the only Top 25 match ups of the week. So let’s pick it right now and hopefully I won’t have to stick it. I’m going with Stanford in the upset because of the media hype around USC as well as their poor performance in a win on the road to Syracuse. Pac 12 needs to come down a bit. Michigan State is the Big 10’s only hope and we’ll see them beat my 2nd favorite team in Notre Dame because the Fighting Irish will be too busy celebrating the ACC move and they struggled pretty hard against Purdue. Finally I have Tennessee over Florida because it’s time for that program to come back. All home picks, I know.
I can’t wait for this weekend of games. There’s a special treat coming up too. I’m going to try this new-fangled live blogging thing that just came out from WordPress. What will be in there? I have no clue. Probably pics and snarky remarks that will end up on the Twitter feed at @kccgd. But hey, it will be fun and you should join me. I’ll have one screen on TCU at Kansas and will channel surf the rest. Who knows? There may be some cartoons or infomercials popping up in the live blog. Tune in and find out!
Yup it’s time I wing them again. I don’t like making things ultra official and professional (note the website) and I will follow that same lack of format for another Pick It and Stick It Special. It’s Dart Board Predictions time! I don’t keep track so if you want to hit me up on the Twitterz (twitter.com/kccgd) or email ([email protected]) and let me know just how smart or dumb I am. So with that out of the way, let’s sharpen up the darts and start tossing. Get out of the way.
- I for some reason kept picking Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden to kick the bucket on the field. I was wrong on both shots (but there’s a chance with Bobby still). This year I will predict that NO ONE will die on the field. Practice field doesn’t count. I know about the sickle cell.
- After capping off the offseason with a newly announced college football playoffs, college presidents will realize the folly of their way and go back the BCS system. The robots will be replaced by committee members.
- Brent Musburger starts to fade as he delves into dementia not unlike Keith Jackson 10 years ago. The only difference, he will still shill and sound super excited.
- Hey I picked a Big 12 Champion, so who will that champion play? Pretty easy, it’s BCS bowl bound for Oklahoma against Virginia Tech because Frank Beamer.
- So that means that the Hokies will win the ACC again and I’m not sure anyone will really care.
- With the WAC shutting down, you’ll see other lower tier conferences going away. I’m looking at you Sun Belt.
- Charlie Weiss will get so frustrated at Kansas, that his front butt will lash out and strike a player. Unlike his almost twin in old head coach Mark Mangino, no one will seem to care about it. Poor blowhard Weiss.
- The Big East will be renamed to The Big after they finish this year announcing new members Hawaii and Japan.
- Texas A&M and Missouri do okay in the SEC this year. After they get done cleaning up the table when the big boys are done.
- Mike Leech trades his sword in for a bow and arrow and starts pegging apples at Washington State. This somehow inspires Wazzu to double their wins to 2.
- USC will walk into the Pac 12 as the favorite and will more than likely walk out the winner. Oregon lost so much except those tasty uniforms.
- But Matt Barkley will not win the Heisman Trophy. The consolation? The next contestant on The Bachelor.
- Who will win the Heisman? It’s a quarterback sport anymore so I think it will be someone from the that position. I see Geno Smith nailing with Collin Klein coming in second. Such a homer pick.
- Speaking of Kansas State, Bill Snyder will live through the year and see a bowl win finally. Maybe in the Beef O’Bradys Bowl.
- Craig James will spew out some nonsense and get accepted to the Green Party’s ticket for president alongside Rosanne Barr.
- I really do think this may be Michigan’s year for a Big 10 title. Unfortunately as soon as they step on that stage, they will instantly be overhyped and lose out in the Rose Bowl.
- About 100 more players will be suspended due to mysterious ‘team rules’ epidemic going around.
- I will not win Pick It and Stick It again this year. I’m hedging my bet right now and will be saying ‘Called It!’ in December.
- USC will face LSU and win in the BCS National Championship Game. Only because USC did me so well in EA Sports NCAA College Football and LSU just doesn’t have it, much to the chagrin of everything SEC.
- Finally, super predictor Phil Steele will rip off most of my predictions from this column and discredit everything else he did in 2012.
Yes that’s Dr. Pepper 10 bold for young whipper snappers. I’m older this week and so’s the country. With my newfound boldness, I break down Temple, Southern Utah, North Dakota, Big Sky Conference, Sun Belt Conference, Kansas State, ACC, Orange Bowl, Notre Dame, NCAA, Mark Emmert, Arkansas, and John L. Smith. Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 25: Getting Old and Feeling Bold