Oy Vey! This weekend of college football will be like buttah! And that’s enough Saturday Night Live reminiscing, because I’m just tired of that show anyway. We still have college football, but no football feedings again. I’ll be doing my darndest to watch but there may be gaps. Guptah!
Continue reading Pick It And Stick It: Shpilkis In My Genechtagazoink →
It’s not as goofy as you think. But there are some teams this week looking to bounce back after some tough losses in there last game and they gotta stay focused. You can’t look away from the wood whilst you chop it, you have keep on it and keep chopping. So this week’s Pick It And Stick It will sharpen that axe for Week 4. Let’s do this. Continue reading Pick It And Stick It: Gotta Chop That Wood →
It’s an easy method to take advantage of. Yesterday in my Dart Picks for the year, I explained that I was too busy/lazy to get anything together. That helped me avoid the blowout out by (shudders) Kenny Football and Texas A&M over South Carolina. I’m already up on the year! Let’s see what that cache will garnish me here for the rest of the kickoff weekend. Continue reading Pick It and Stick It 2014 Week 01: I Saved Faced By Waiting Until Today →
Hey guess what? I’m back! No Purple Yeti Roar, no previews (yet), and not much fanfare. Let’s be real here, I’m distracted by the the Kansas City Royals actually being in a pennant race. But also I’m tired of the vlogging business. Plus the picks and the feedings felt a bit tired. But I’m back regardless with some tasty predictions. Continue reading Dart Board Predictions for 2014: From The Ashes Comes A New Set Of Arrows →
Okay it’s time for another Big 12 preview this year. So we are are one year in with the newly aligned Big 12 and the dust hasn’t settled yet. Last year we had a newb contender and apparently with have another newb contender. Of course, last year’s outcome saw the championship fall to the Big 8 original, Kansas State. Will they end up repeating this year? Does anybody else want to stand up and take it? I kinda agree with everyone else saying it’s a wide open race. Let’s find out what else I think. Continue reading Big 12 Football Preview 2013: It’s That Wide Open →
Another week o’ the roar and I’ve landed on a huge takeaway from all of the media days last week: there is a bigger change coming than just the college football playoff next year. Hop on and watch me discuss that as well as NCAA, Big 12, Kansas State, Kansas, Charlie Weiss, Collin Klein, Jadeveon Clowney, Jay Z, SEC, ACC, Big 10, Pac 12, and Mark Emmert. Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 79: There’s A NCAA Sea Change Coming →
This week I’m celebrating Memorial Day like I usually do: out by the pool. So I recovered today and mustered enough strength to plow through another Roar. This week was short on number but big on impact for news. We’ll talk about Everett Golson, Notre Dame, Brian Kelly, Tommy Rees, ESPN, SEC, Paul Finebaum, BIg 12, Kansas State, Charlie Weiss, Kansas, Miami (Ohio), and Dayne Crist. Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 70: Lots Of Green And Blue This Week →
Yup, I’ll talk Manti T’eo here in a second, but it’s a whole new year of the Purple Yeti! Yeah it’s been good, but it hasn’t been for Manti or more recently Collin Klein. Look for me talking about that as well as Kansas, Ben Heeney, Kansas State, Shrine Game, Senior Bowl, NFL, Penn State, Al Pacino, Joe Paterno, Charlie Weiss, Oregon, Chip Kelly, Philadelphia Eagles, ESPN, Sporting News, Yahoo Sports, Gawker, and Deadspin Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 52: This Year Has Not Been Faked →
What can I say? It’s been a quiet week news wise. Sure the New Mexico Bowl and Famous Idaho Potato Bowl took place over the weekend, but there really wasn’t anything else. I make do, however, and spend most of the time talking about Kansas Sate. Look for that and Arizona, Nevada, RichRod, Bill Snyder, Kansas, Charlie Weiss, Penn State, Alabama, Texas, Iowa, and Hayden Fry Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 47: It’s My Kansas State Round Up →
I’m talking about how Kansas State continuously takes care of business against the in state brother for Kansas. Tune in and watch me talk about the Big 12 games from the weekend and the Big 12 games coming up. Oh yeah, I’ll talk some Top 25 match ups and some overrated SEC stuff. Let the dominance continue. Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 38: Kansas State Dominance →
It’s Sunflower Showdown weekend! While it’s nice that Charlie Weiss is trying to get his Kansas kids up for the game and refocus rivalry juice toward Manhattan, Bill Snyder has been doing that exact thing for much of his tenure. But we can get into that later. There’s a wealth of great games this weekend both inside and outside the Big 12. We’ll know much more where teams will be seeded in the national championship race after this weekend. Time to Pick It and Stick It. Continue reading Pick It And Stick It: Finding Some Seeds →
Yeah least week was kind of a snoozer, but I watched every possilbe minute of action from my couched sideline. This week I talk Texas, David Ash, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Iowa State, Steele Jantz, TCU, SMU, The Iron Skillet, Baylor, West Virginia, Geno Smith, Kansas, Charlie Weiss, Dayne Crist, Kansas State, and Bill Snyder. Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 37: Bye To Last Week, Get Ready For This Week →
So it was another great week of football and it started in Norman. Kansas State upset Oklahoma. I’ll talk about that and the other games of the weekend as well as look forward to some quasi exciting action for week 5.
Continue reading Purple Yeti Roar 36: Jars And Short Yards →
Hey it’s another week of college football and it’s that time of the week for me to stick my finger where my mouth is and preview the weekend’s onslaught of college football rebellion. For me this week, it’s all about trap games. I’m looking at it from the guise of my Purple Yeti colored pride (Kansas State for the uninitiated) and there’s a chance a trap could be sprung. The rest of the weekend is somewhat ho-hum with a couple of primo matchups and that’s about it. We also get what I believe is the opening of conference play between Kansas and TCU. Let’s kick on the hyperdrive.
So I mentioned that Kansas State may be rolling into a trap game. First off, what’s a trap game? Usually it’s with an opponent that you are supposed to beat but certain circumstances make it ripe for an upset. Kansas State’s trap scenario is two-fold. First off, Kansas State plays North Texas whose head coach is Dan McCartney. Yup the same McCartney that was Iowa State’s head coach and actually beat the Snyder led Cats twice in his run. Second, the following week’s game for Kansas State is in Norman against Oklahoma. Could there be a situation where Kansas State overlooks North Texas while getting ready for Oklahoma?
The short answer is yes. Kansas State already had their trap type scenario play out in the first week of the season (and you could really look at last year too) with a way too close game against an FCS opponent. I think Bill Snyder likes to run these games as a sort of pre-season type match up. You get vanilla things that help get some real game time experience for some young players. You’ll more than likely see this again against North Texas, but it should be enough to top North Texas. McCartney does not have the kind of talent he had at Iowa State. Bill Snyder (who was an assistant at North Texas for a short time) already has his whole team bought into his system and his system demands discipline at a cosmic rate. Kansas State should win this one pretty easily but I would not be surprised if it will be close for most of the game.
The game starts late and I will miss because of a Passion Pit show (hopefully the football gods will forgive me), but I will be able to watch a couple of games before hand. The most interesting one for me, will be the opening Big 12 game of the year and the opening Big 12 game for TCU when TCU heads to Lawrence. Pretty much everyone is giving TCU the game this week. I’m going to do that too. There’s alot of things I’m looking for, however. How will Kansas State alum and TCU head coach Gary Patterson handle the first game for TCU? Will Casey Pachall keep his astronomic QB passer rating up? Will Charlie Weiss have his kids bounce back from an embarrassing loss last week? Will the Kansas players give up in the 2nd quarter? Will the stadium be empty at halftime? All interesting questions and I think we know the answer to all of them.
So the rest of the slate is pretty limp. I’ll miss out on the evening games because of concert, which is a shame because it’s got USC at Stanford as well as Notre Dame at Michigan State and Florida at Tennessee, the only Top 25 match ups of the week. So let’s pick it right now and hopefully I won’t have to stick it. I’m going with Stanford in the upset because of the media hype around USC as well as their poor performance in a win on the road to Syracuse. Pac 12 needs to come down a bit. Michigan State is the Big 10’s only hope and we’ll see them beat my 2nd favorite team in Notre Dame because the Fighting Irish will be too busy celebrating the ACC move and they struggled pretty hard against Purdue. Finally I have Tennessee over Florida because it’s time for that program to come back. All home picks, I know.
I can’t wait for this weekend of games. There’s a special treat coming up too. I’m going to try this new-fangled live blogging thing that just came out from WordPress. What will be in there? I have no clue. Probably pics and snarky remarks that will end up on the Twitter feed at @kccgd. But hey, it will be fun and you should join me. I’ll have one screen on TCU at Kansas and will channel surf the rest. Who knows? There may be some cartoons or infomercials popping up in the live blog. Tune in and find out!
Yup it’s time I wing them again. I don’t like making things ultra official and professional (note the website) and I will follow that same lack of format for another Pick It and Stick It Special. It’s Dart Board Predictions time! I don’t keep track so if you want to hit me up on the Twitterz (twitter.com/kccgd) or email ([email protected]) and let me know just how smart or dumb I am. So with that out of the way, let’s sharpen up the darts and start tossing. Get out of the way.
- I for some reason kept picking Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden to kick the bucket on the field. I was wrong on both shots (but there’s a chance with Bobby still). This year I will predict that NO ONE will die on the field. Practice field doesn’t count. I know about the sickle cell.
- After capping off the offseason with a newly announced college football playoffs, college presidents will realize the folly of their way and go back the BCS system. The robots will be replaced by committee members.
- Brent Musburger starts to fade as he delves into dementia not unlike Keith Jackson 10 years ago. The only difference, he will still shill and sound super excited.
- Hey I picked a Big 12 Champion, so who will that champion play? Pretty easy, it’s BCS bowl bound for Oklahoma against Virginia Tech because Frank Beamer.
- So that means that the Hokies will win the ACC again and I’m not sure anyone will really care.
- With the WAC shutting down, you’ll see other lower tier conferences going away. I’m looking at you Sun Belt.
- Charlie Weiss will get so frustrated at Kansas, that his front butt will lash out and strike a player. Unlike his almost twin in old head coach Mark Mangino, no one will seem to care about it. Poor blowhard Weiss.
- The Big East will be renamed to The Big after they finish this year announcing new members Hawaii and Japan.
- Texas A&M and Missouri do okay in the SEC this year. After they get done cleaning up the table when the big boys are done.
- Mike Leech trades his sword in for a bow and arrow and starts pegging apples at Washington State. This somehow inspires Wazzu to double their wins to 2.
- USC will walk into the Pac 12 as the favorite and will more than likely walk out the winner. Oregon lost so much except those tasty uniforms.
- But Matt Barkley will not win the Heisman Trophy. The consolation? The next contestant on The Bachelor.
- Who will win the Heisman? It’s a quarterback sport anymore so I think it will be someone from the that position. I see Geno Smith nailing with Collin Klein coming in second. Such a homer pick.
- Speaking of Kansas State, Bill Snyder will live through the year and see a bowl win finally. Maybe in the Beef O’Bradys Bowl.
- Craig James will spew out some nonsense and get accepted to the Green Party’s ticket for president alongside Rosanne Barr.
- I really do think this may be Michigan’s year for a Big 10 title. Unfortunately as soon as they step on that stage, they will instantly be overhyped and lose out in the Rose Bowl.
- About 100 more players will be suspended due to mysterious ‘team rules’ epidemic going around.
- I will not win Pick It and Stick It again this year. I’m hedging my bet right now and will be saying ‘Called It!’ in December.
- USC will face LSU and win in the BCS National Championship Game. Only because USC did me so well in EA Sports NCAA College Football and LSU just doesn’t have it, much to the chagrin of everything SEC.
- Finally, super predictor Phil Steele will rip off most of my predictions from this column and discredit everything else he did in 2012.